Late Night

Getting home was anticlimactic since barely anyone was home, and the kids that were home were closed off in their room. So, I grabbed a snack and headed into my bedroom as well. My thoughts were still spinning at a million miles per hour so I glanced around my bedroom. Deciding to preoccupy my mind, I pull out some homework from my bag. Just because I had a new job as a spy, didn't mean I had to let my grades drop. I stared at the physics problems on the page and found my head spinning.
  Luckily, the homework kept me busy and made the time fly. Day abruptly switched into night. While glancing outside, I noticed the stars out and the moon gleaming high in the sky. So I brushed my teeth, changed clothes, slipped the lights off, and crawled into my bed. It was much harder to fall asleep tonight, especially with all of the thoughts scrambling around in my head. Today was hectic and I knew tomorrow was going to be as well so I tried to clear my head. As hard as it was, I found myself dozing into unconsciousness.

  My eyelids shot open as my heart raced quicker in my chest. My chest was rising and falling rapidly but I laid frozen in the bed to contemplate the night. The recent sleep was useless since it was full of nightmares that I couldn't seem to get out of my head. Finally, I turned my gaze to look at the clock and read that it was almost four o'clock in the middle of the night. So, I rolled over a couple of times and hid under the thick comforter to try and get comfortable but my eyes felt like they couldn't close. A long sigh left my mouth when I realized that sleep was not going to come easy. I stared at the clock beside my bed in hopes it would lull me to sleep, but it quickly turned into false hope.
  That's it! I decided as I yanked myself from the irritating bed. My pajamas shifted to my body as I stood away from the bed then I stepped toward the window. The moon was at an angle towards the side of the house so I couldn't see the orb in the sky but the stars seemed to shine brighter without the moon stealing their glow. With the stars glittering their light, the night sky was black against the dots.
  My arm raised up and I peered down at the metal bracelet that was hugging my wrist. Maybe a little walk would help me get these thoughts out of my head and sleep better. So, I slid open the one story window and crawled out until the freezing grass beneath me tickled my feet. My arms fell to my side as I continued down the road of the familiar street. Even though I had lived here for a while, the area looked different during the night.
  When I was far enough away from the house, I glanced back down at my wrist. Nothing in my head told me It was a bad idea so I pressed the small, almost unnoticeable button. A yellow dot started flashing on the accessory so I continued down the road while I waited.
  Eventually, a piece of metal attached to my arm and soon the whole suit was stuck to me. I scanned the area one more time then I flicked my ankles. The rockets kicked on and I found myself wobbling around a bit while trying to get used to it. Once I was stable, I kicked off harder and blasted off towards the sky. I didn't want to go too high so I stayed high enough that I was above the nearby houses and trees.
  The scene changed to more trees as houses slowly started disappearing in the distance. The trees below me flew by so I watched as they raced underneath me. They were just giant, evil-looking sticks since it was practically winter without the snow. Even though most of them were dead, it was still a breath-taking view especially when a few evergreens passed by. My eyes drifted to a number on the screen in front of me and read that it was thirty degrees Fahrenheit outside but the suit was keeping me warm. Considering how fast I was going, I knew that I was miles from the house but I didn't linger on the thought as I shifted my view to the speckles of light of the city in the distance.
  Wow, this view is so beautiful. Why don't I do this more often? The thought popped into my head but my suit quickly started beeping to signal danger which, in turn, answered my question. I glanced down on the suit monitor to see a yellow dot flashing behind me. The yellow dot meant that whatever was behind me hadn't tried to fire yet or else it would be red. However, the dot wasn't green which usually meant that the figure was either unknown or the suit couldn't detect what or who was behind me.
  Instantly, I stopped my speeding forward and heard the beeping getting quicker which meant the figure was getting close. As soon as the object was behind me, I raised my arm and swiftly shot around to face the figure then point my palm toward it. Even though it was dark, I could still see the faint color of red on a humanoid figure that was-... crossing their arms? The dot on my monitor gave a high pitched beep then turned green.
  A familiar voice registered through the coms in the suit, "Sam, land. Now."
  Still weary of the figure, I obeyed and lowered my arm then slowly descended to the ground. I didn't take my eyes off of the human shaped figure until my metal shoes hit the ground and so did his. We landed in a park; I could tell from all of the trees surrounding us, the large, empty space, and the light poles that circled us.
  The suit in front of me lifted their mask and I could tell from the dim light that it was Tony. Luckily, he lowered his arms so he wasn't crossing them anymore and looking mad. However, Stark's eyebrows were narrowed with confusion and the hint of a rant coming on.
  "What are you doing up so late? And why are you in the suit?" the interrogation began.
  After lifting up my own face mask, I answered carefully and softly, "I couldn't sleep. And I didn't think it would hurt anything... Wait, how did you know I was here?"
  Tony paused as if he was wondering if he should explain or not. Fortunately, he began, "I designed the suit and the technology at home to send me an alarm when the suit is activated... And I might've put a tracker on it."
  A long sigh left my lungs but a prick of guilt stabbed my heart, "I-... Uh... Didn't mean to wake you up."
  Tony's expression eased as he titled his head, "Come on."
  "Where-?" I started.
  Although, Tony elucidated before I had to ask, "Just for a walk."
  So I padded beside Tony as he led through the park. It was then that I realized how peacefully quiet it was during the night. I kept my eyes on the earth below me while I kept pace with Tony. A lot of questions were swirling through my head but my uncle jarred the silence first.
  "Why couldn't you sleep?" Tony questioned.
  My shoulders lifted and fell in a shrug, "Just-... I don't know... I can't go to sleep when I wake up."
  There was a long pause and I could tell Tony was trying to read me. Apparently, he was good too because then he asked, "Was it a nightmare?"
  However, I crossed my arms and my footsteps became heavier with anger, but I didn't want to answer.
  Alas, Tony noticed my change of attitude so he pressed, "What?" he snapped.
  "I'm not a child, Tony. I don't need someone to hold my hand," I pointed out.
  Out of the corner of my eye, I could tell Tony was trying to hold back a snarky remark but - instead - took a deep breath and dipped his head in a nod, "I know that. However, it's not a bad thing to talk about them."
  "It was just-," I started but sagged my shoulders in exasperation. "It was nothing," I finally spoke, trying to end the conversation. Tony didn't seem to like that answer so he started to protest but I changed the subject. "Look, I'm sorry I woke you up. You have work tomorrow, go home and get some sleep."
  Then Tony reacted unexpectedly; he started chuckling. Nothing about the sentence that I had said before was supposed to be comedic so why was he laughing? My eyebrows narrowed in confusion and I found myself clenching my jaw in annoyance.
  Wanting him to explain himself, I demanded, "What?"
  Stark shook his head, still grinning, "I just think it's funny. You really have become a superhero, haven't you?"
  I stared at him blankly, completely confused about what he was talking about. "You're going to have to explain," I stated. 
  "Just seems like all heroes have baggage. Yours is just starting early," Tony pointed out. Since I still looked perplexed, Tony - fortunately - continued, "Sam, everyone has troubles, things that bother them. Even people like me," he clarified as if that was supposed to mean anything to me. "But it's going to bother you more if you don't talk about it. So, you should always be open about what you're feeling. Especially with someone you trust like-," Tony dragged out the last word as if to hint toward himself. "Just not Banner... He's not a good listener..."
  Which made me scoff and roll my eyes but the comment caused me to giggle. To be honest, even though my uncle was being excruciatingly annoying, he was making me feel better. Also, the more I thought about it, the more I realized he was right. Tony would always tell me how he felt - even if it was about hating the idea of me going undercover - so I needed to do the same. "It was just-... I don't know... I couldn't stop 'em... Lesser and his group."
  Realization washed over Tony's expression as if he instantly understood what I was talking about, "Ah. The cliche I can't save everyone."
  The sarcasm set me off so I swung my arm - that was still in the suit - and slammed it against his suit.
  Tony continued walking beside me but whined, "Ow," even though it obviously didn't hurt him. Then he gave me a small smirk, "Hey, sorry. I understand what you're going through, though. What you're doing, it's a big responsibility... That I didn't want to put on you."
  I sighed then shrugged, "How am I supposed to get rid of this feeling?"
  "Well, I guess you don't," Tony answered, bluntly.
  "Tony!" I exclaimed in shock.
  "Or-," Tony added, "You can remember that I'm here too."
  The statement bewildered me and I second guessed myself if I actually heard right. It wasn't that I doubted him being there for me - he always was - but it surprised me that he said it out loud considering how sarcastic he always was. "Thanks, Tony," a small grin pressed on my expression.
  However, Tony pointed out, "Well, I'm here most days. Weekends you're going to have to ask Capsicle to hold your hand."
  And there's the Tony that I know, the thought echoed in my head, amusingly. In response, I rolled my eyes and grabbed his arm.
  Stark halted from walking further through the park then he turned toward me.
  I smiled, genuinely, "I appreciate it... a lot. I don't think I could do this without you."
  So, Tony beamed but made the point, "Good thing you don't have to." However, Tony didn't linger on the subject as he affirmed, "It's late. You think you can go back to bed?"
  Just talking about sleep made me yawn so I nodded and rubbed my eyes, "Yeah. G'night Tony."
  "Night," he concluded so I was about to leave but he added, "Hey, and you can always call me. I'm never too busy to talk." Before I could say anything, he glanced at his wrist at an imaginary watch and noted, "Hm, look at the time. Get some good sleep," then his mask shut and he kicked off with his rockets.
  A slight smirk showed on my face as I watched him take off into the night sky. It was rare to hear that from Tony so I was definitely never forgetting it. Getting drowsy, I flew off back home. Towns passed by me until I reached my familiar street. Landing was a bit difficult but I reached the ground without stumbling too much. I flicked my wrist so my suit pieced off of me and launched back toward Stark's place. I scurried back to my window and climbed back in. Then I shut my window and climbed back into bed. Falling asleep was much easier because as soon as my eyelids shut together, I faded into unconsciousness.