Chapter Eighteen

Jack's Point of View: 
I tapped my thumb on the steering wheel nervously. (Y/N) sat in the back, sleeping with her head resting on the window. Anti sat next to me, arms crossed, and checking the mirror frequently. He was nervous. We both were. We needed out of the country, the only problem was the fact that we didn't have (Y/N)'s passport-if she had one at all. We were on our way to her home, hoping that their stuff hadn't been moved.

"Are you sure they live here?" I asked, pulling up to a normal looking house. I honestly was expecting some sort of mansion, or three story home at the least, but this house is your average one story, stereotypical home with a fenced backyard.

"Yep," Anti sighed, getting out. "I'm gonna open it up. Get (Y/N)."

I sighed, pulling the keys out of the ignition with a loud jingle. I knew exactly how "gonna open it up" meant. A whole lotta noise, and a whole lotta broken doors. I reached around the seat, shaking (Y/N)'s knee gently. "(Y/N)? Wake up."

She blinked, her left hand curling into a fist in her lap, like she was just gripping something, then it disappeared. "... Jack...?"

My smile grew as she said my name. "Yeah, its me. We're at your old home, and we need you to come inside as we look for a passport for you."

"Oh," she yawned, stretching. "Okay."

I got out, helped her out of the car, then held her hand as we went around the back of the house, going through a gate to get there. The back door was kicked it, swinging on its hinges. I sighed. Dammit, Anti... I let (Y/N) enter first, making sure she does't slip and hurt herself. Once we were through, we stopped, and took a look around. 

The kitchen we were in was moderate, but was obviously remodeled, and had all of the cool, newer gadgets. The counter tops were a tan granite, the floors true tiling, not that crappy peeling stuff, like in my kitchen. A single light hung down from the ceiling in the middle of the room, giving off a comforting and appealing glow. Although it was comfortable in here, there was a smell of rot in the air, like spoiled eggs and meat, and over ripe fruit. Ever since (Y/N)'s parents passed away, nobody has been in since, and it shows through. 

Wrinkling my nose, I continued on, tugging (Y/N)'s hand to follow me. She stumbled slightly, blinking sleepily. "Anti?" I called, peering into a living room.

"Down here."

I turned towards a hallway, and strode down it, glancing into each room until I reached the last one. It was decorated in pinks, and splashes of pastel blue. (Y/N)'s gaze lit up with recognition. This must be her room, I thought. How strange... She slip her hand out of my grasp, and dived onto her bed in a fit of giggles, scooping a stuffed bear up into her arms, hugging it tightly. Anti sat on his knees in front of her open closet, rifling through papers and notebooks. He mumbled, throwing a journal off to the side.

"Help me look," he snapped, and I spun on my heal, heading straight for the office we passed in the hallway.

I threw the filing cabinets open, throwing papers and files onto the floor as I rummaged around, my panic rising in my chest. Why hasn't their stuff been confiscated? Taken? Stolen? Why isn't there police tape around this whole house, or anything? Why aren't people looking for (Y/N)? I realize they think she's floating, dead, in the river, gone like her parents, but still... That isn't an excuse to not look for her. This whole thing doesn't make any sense to me. 

Maybe...

I slowed to a stop, gazing down at my shoes, my hands in tight fists at my sides.

Maybe it would've been better to have taken her to the police station, and just left her there.