Chapter Six - Candour

Now that I know Lukas is alive, something tells me I must find him. Yes, he is a vital part of keeping Jason alive but he is also a child. He deserves to live.

Instantly, in the dead of night, I begin to retrace my steps.

Maybe shouting Lukas' name a few minutes wasn't the best idea because now I have given away my location and the careers could be lurking around any corner.

An owl hoots in the tree above me forcing my skin to jump around my body. If something as small as an owl scares me, what about when I bump into a career towards the end of the games?

I continue walking south, the same direction that I had come through to get to my tree.

In the distance, I can see a small orange glow. It must be a fire. I read in the training centre that making a fire in the night isn't the best idea. It gives away your location. The same rules apply for day time, but it's less commonly spotted.

I stop walking in the direction I am supposed and head over towards the fire.

Bow and arrow drawn back, ready to fire in case of emergency.

As I get closer to fire, I can hear voices. Two. Maybe three. I step onto a twig that snaps and then the voices stop.

Faintly, I hear a small 'shh' in the distance.

That's it. I'm dead. No chance of saving Jason's life. Or Lukas'.

I begin to walk backwards, continuously looking at the orange glow, until a figure appears in front of it. A girl with a decent build and a knife in hand. Before I see it, I throw myself to the ground as a knife comes flying past me. I release my arrow in the direction of the girl and hear her whimper. But then unexpectedly, a spear lands inches away from me. I reload my bow, aim and shoot again in the same direction.

Now the orange glow has completely disappeared.

"Wait!" A voice whispers.

"What now Aaron?" A feminine voice replies.

It's Katherine and Aaron. I've found them.

"Stop guys!" I whisper. "Stop!"

I see the girl rest her hands and two knives are not by her sides. I can't see the guy (or Aaron), but he's around somewhere.

"Who is that? Who are you?" Asks the guy. Question repeat back and forth before I pluck up the courage to answer.

"It's me, Jasmine."

"Is she kidding me?" Katherine laughs. "Get out her Jasmine!"

I pull myself together and get up from the ground.

"We've seen Jason, but he's gone looking for you." Says Aaron. "Have you seen Lukas?"

"I have..." I manage to spit out my reply.

"Where is he? Is he dead? Me and Katherine missed the anthem thingy."

"He found me because I didn't stick to the plan, I went after the weapons." I say, trying to keep myself together. "But I think when he called my name, someone heard him and shot a knife into his back."

"What?" Katherine cries, quietly.

"I stayed with him, until I thought he was dead and even after. I left him alone." Tears begin to roll down my face as the memory of Lukas' 'death' circles my mind. "I kissed him goodbye, but his face wasn't up in the sky tonight."

Katherine falls to the ground and Aaron comforts her.

"It's your fault Jasmine." She says. Her face buried in her hands.