Chapter Nine

Jack followed Reaper outside, the cool air brushing his cheeks gently. He followed Reaper slowly down long alleyways deprived of people. He didn't mind where they were going, as long as Jack was with Reaper and outside breathing the fresh air.

He almost forgot how much fresh air can do for you. It seems to clear your mind, if only just for a minute. It felt like after being stuck in a hole underground, it made you feel like you're just a cloud drifting through endless meadows.

Jack realized how poetic he just got and decided to focus on where he was actually going.

Reaper was leading him down another alleyway, it was quite a distance from the Dauntless headquarters, but the walk was nice. The sun was ready to end the day, but was still blazing across the sky, burning orange and purple across the blue sky. Reaper suddenly stopped, making Jack bump into him, "Oh, sorry."

Reaper was looking up, searching for something. Jack did too, but couldn't see what he was looking for. Reaper then moved toward a towering building, and grabbed a hidden rope. With a sharp tug a ladder fell down, revealing a passage towards the top.

"What the hell." Jack whispered, still in shock about not seeing a ladder and rope that lead clear to the top of a building. Reaper chuckled, but didn't say anything as he started up the ladder. Jack followed, looking down towards the ground every so often.

Finally, they made it to the top, and Reaper offered a hand towards Jack, who gladly accepted.

Jack landed on the rooftop, and felt lightheaded from how tall they were, the wind starting to kick up and brush his hair back. But what actually took his breath was the view. Out in front of him he could see the sunset clearly, the wall surrounding the city was glistening white, and you could almost see Amity trucks ready for tomorrow's shipments.

Jack stared, his heart slamming in his chest. This was the best thing he's ever seen.

"Like it?" Reaper asked quietly, standing behind him.

"Yeah..." Jack smiled, then laughed a little. "Yes, this is amazing."

Reaper chuckled, "Great. I only come here when we're forced to do stuff I don't want to do. It's a perfect view of everything." Jack got so caught up, he didn't actually realise that there was more to see. He turned in a 360 circle, taking in everything.

He could see all the way toward the Abnegation homes, the Candor building, the Erudite building, and the small area made of glass that lead down into Dauntless. Then the wall, you could see every bit of it. Jack saw the train rattling along, slowing down before zooming off again. This was blowing his mind.

He finally was facing Reaper, who was looking at him, "How did you find this?" Jack asked, still a little lightheaded.

"I had a friend who showed me this place. He told me it was his...Safe haven, I guess you can say. He's in Abnegation now though, so he never comes up here. But, I do. And I thought you'd like it..." Reaper finished.

Jack smiled, "Yeah, I do, thanks." And Jack really wanted to turn back around and watch the sun, but Reaper just had it all. He was taller than him by a long shot, and his eyes were practically golden in the reflecting sun.

"I just wanted to say sorry..." Jack started, thinking back to the moment in the dorm room, "I was just caught up back there. I'm still kinda tired, but not so much."

Reaper nodded, "I'm glad. It's kinda scary being all caught up in your own head." He reached out and brushed his knuckles along Jack's cheeks. "You seem like your old self."

Jack smiled, leaning into his touch. "I've been feeling like it too..."

Reaper dropped his hand, which felt terribly disappointing. Jack forced himself to look toward the sun, it was halfway down across the horizon. The wind was settling a little, but it was still strong enough to kick up his hair.