n i n e: June.

It's barely half midnight when the door open and Camila looks up to see her step-brother walking in. It's obvious that he's not sober.

He doesn't say a word as he plops down next to her on the couch and grabs the remote from her hands.

"Hey! I was watching that!"

"And now I'm going to watch something else."

"No."

"No?"

"It's my turn—"

"Well guess what? Your mommy and daddy aren't here so who the fuck cares? Even if they were, do you think Alejandro would let you watch TV if there's something I want to watch? I don't think so." Jackson scoffed

Perhaps his words shouldn't hurt as much as they did, but Camila couldn't help but think how right he is.

"You know what?" Camila asked before getting up and walking away "Fucking watch it."

"Are you going to see that little lesbian of yours? Don't think I don't know you're still seeing her."

Camila stopped in her tracks and turned around to look at Jackson.

"Excuse me?"

"Don't think I don't know. It's just too shame she doesn't have a taste. But one night, I need only one night with her and she'd know how good I can make her feel."

"You fucking stay away from her."

It took less than half an hour for Camila to storm out off the house, a duffel bag in her hand and a backpack on her shoulders, her hands tightly holding her plush ligt blue pillow.

Dinah's mother is kind of surprised when she sees Camila standing in front of her doors in the middle of the night, but she lets her in anyway and practically drags her to room that Dinah shares with one of her younger sisters.

Dinah doesn't question it, she only pulls Camila in a tight hug and cuddles her until the Cuban girl falls asleep.

Dinah's mother offers for Camila to move in until things get better, Camila immediately says yes.

Things aren't that great for Camila at all. First thing is her family; it's like her parents don't really care that she's gone. Her mother texted her to stop playing around and embarrassing the family. That's all. She didn't care to bother if Camila is okay or where she's staying at, she just wanted her to stop being an embarrassment.

The stress of the whole family drama is a bit too much for Camila and it makes her grades lower than she usually had. School's hard and she's convinced she'd be crazy if it wasn't for Lauren.

But then, Lauren is slowly drifting apart.

"I was thinking, maybe e could go to the movies tomorrow?" Camila suggests

She's been spending her time either in school or with Dinah's family and she honestly just needs some space away from everyone; Lauren excluded.

"I promised Alexa I'll go to the party with her. I'd invite you but it's juniors and seniors only."

"It's okay, don't worry."

But it isn't. One party turned into another and another and another. Before Camila knows, Lauren was attending every party and getting drunk every chance she got.

Camila's worried about her family, she's worried about school, but she's also worried about Lauren.

"What's going on with you Lo?" Camila was sitting on the floor in Lauren's bedroom as the older one is getting ready for yet another party

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you've been distant lately and you've been out, partying a lot."

"I'm a teenager Camz." Lauren laughs "What's the big deal if I go out and get a drink or two?"

"Nothing I guess. I'm going out tonight with you."

Lauren looks at her girlfriend, she's wearing one of Lauren's oversized sweatshirts and a pair of leggings.

"Like that?"

Camila shakes her head before walking over to Lauren's closet and pulls out one of Lauren's tight short black dresses.

"How about this?" She questions as she looks at Lauren

"Hot." Lauren mumbles before going back to her make-up "You have less than half an hour before the girls pick us up though."

Camila hates the party, she hates drunk high school students, she hates alcohol and she hates how everyone is checking her girlfriend out.

They decide to play truth or dare and someone tells Lauren that she has to kiss captain of the basketball team. The Latina is a few cups in it's visible that she's at least tipsy.

"What?" Lauren giggles

"You gotta kiss Robert." The girl next to her wiggles her eyebrows

"Oh, okay." Lauren nods before getting up to walk over to him

"Um, not okay. She's in a relationship." Lucy protests

"It's just a game."

"Then find another dare for her. Lauren get up, game over for you."

"What, why?"

"Because Camila has been asleep for the past hour or so and maybe you should take her home."

"Camzzz." Lauren whines

"Yeah, Camz, c'mon, let's go drunkie."

The next party goes a bit better, not much though. Camila decides to stick to energy drinks and make sure she's attached to Lauren's hip all the time. She dances with her the whole night and makes sure Lauren drinks a bit of water in between her alcohol

And then Lauren turns 18 and Camila makes a deal with a girl from her Glee club to lent her the space for the night in return for a month of Camila doing her Spanish homework.

Camila interrupts Lauren's dance with Lucy and Dinah and asks Lauren to join her somewhere. Lauren smiles at her as she nods her head. The younger one leads her up the fire escape stairs until they reach the roof.

Lauren's heart skips a beat as she looks at the blankets surrounded by candles. She knew what this means. She also knew that she's ready to give that part of herself to Camila, to let her see all of her.

In that moment, nothing else existed. They didn't care about the party going on downstairs, they didn't care that someone might notice that the birthday girl isn't there. They didn't care about the wind that would blow every once in a while. All they cared about was each other.

Although the scene was perfect, their first time wasn't perfect by any means. Lauren's hands were trembling and Camila was anxious, they had no idea what they're doing. But that's the magic. They were in this together.

So, when Lauren started giggling because Camila's hair was tickling her, Camila joined her. And when Camila started laughing because Lauren couldn't take off her shirt, the green eyed girl simply laughed along.

It was messy and it was awkward, but neither of them would want it any other way.

And once when they both came down from their high, they cuddled up to each other, their naked bodies tangled under the warm blankets, as they watched the stars above them.

"Happy birthday my love." Camila whispers as she kisses the top of Lauren's head

"Thank you princess." Lauren smiles and nuzzles her head closer to Camila's bare chest "Your heart is beating like crazy."

"It's beating for you."