Maplestar's Storm

A she cat led her 5 kits through the forest. They groaned loudly.

"Shhhh....." The she cat whispered. "If we wake anyone up we lose the game."

"I'm hungry!" A orange kit with dark ginger tips cried.

The she cat sighed, "alright." She sighed. She lay on her side and let her kits suckle.

When they we done, she sat up and began walking as fast as she could. They stopped at a wide river. The water rippled.

"Let's rest here." She mewed, glad to relax her sore, tired legs. Her kits snuggled around her.

One of the kits, a black and white tom, whimpered. "Why are we here?"

The she cat wrapped her fluffy black tail around her kits. "We are meeting someone very special." She replied, her voice cracking and tears streaming off her cheeks.

A large white tom could be seen on ten other side of the river. His amber eyes glared at them through the moonlight.

The she cat stood up. She padded to the edge of the river.

"Your kits are here." She called.

The cat swam to them. He eyed the kits.

"Hello kits. I am your new father." He mewed. He picked a calico kit up from the ground.

"Put me down!" She squealed. "'Mommmmmyyy!"

The she cat nosed her kit. "It's ok." She whispered, tears dripping of her face.

She picked up a gray kit, swimming across. She plopped her on the other side, right next to the calico kit.

The strange cat grabbed the orange kit, and the she cat grabbed a tan and brown kit. The stranger then swam to get the last, the black and white kit.

The she cat licked each kit, breathing in their sweet scent. "Goodbye my beautiful kits." She whispered.

She turned and crossed the river, thanking the cat as she swam by.

"Mommy!" The kits squealed. Her youngest, the black and white one, tried swimming after her.

She tried to block out the squeal as the kit was swept downriver. She began to race ahead. Tears blew off her face as she heard her kits one more time.