Chapter 1 - Losing a Loved One

Maplekit leapt onto Blazekit's ginger tail.

"Yeow!" He screeched. He twisted and lashed at Maplekit.

She giggled, ducking as Blazekit soared over her head. Their mother, Swiftheart, watched them.

Violetkit sleepily padded out the nursery. Her blue eyes clouded with sleep. She sat by a patch of sunshine and groomed her fluffy gray stripes tail.

Dawnkit chased a butterfly that was sitting on a plant. Her tan paws battered the butterfly's wings.

The patrol suddenly raced in. They all had blood leaking from them.

"We were attacked by Darkclan warriors!" The leader, Mistleheart cried.

Maplekit squealed, bolting into the nursery. She waited for her siblings and

Coaltail. Coaltail protected the kits as yowling and spitting was heard outside.

Violetkit shuddered as someone called

"We need a medicine cat!"

Maplekit brushed against her sister. "Who would attack a harmless kit?" She asked.

Violetkit smiled. "I guess your right." She sighed.

They waited out the battle until a coal black she cat dove into the nursery.

She was followed by two toms.

"Grab the kits!" The she cat growled. The toms sprang up and tried catching the kits.

Blazekit squealed as a brown and ginger tom nipped at his scruff. He dove under Coaltail, who darted her claws across the toms face.

Swiftheart raced in, heading for the she cat. She battered her face as Coaltail fought the brown and ginger tom.

"I got one!" A tan tom with a strange diamond on his chest cried through a mouthful of fur.

Maplekit gasped.

He had Dawnkit.

She squealed and thrashed in his jaws. The she cat growled.

"Good Adderfang. That's it Darkclan!" She yowled.

"Retreat!" She screamed.

Most cats bolted to the exit. Swiftheart chased Adderfang, but was shoved back.

"My kit! Make them giver her back!" She cried, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Blood littered the clearing, as of fur and scratches. Maplekit gasped at Mistleheart, who was limping.

Rainstar jumped onto Sky peak.

"All cats pay attention for a important announcement!" She called.

All the clan looked up at her. Roseleaf and Hailpaw looked up but kept working.

"If you are injured, please see Roseleaf or Hailpaw." She called.

"Also, keep a eye on Darkclan, they took one of Swiftheart's kits." She announced.

The clan gasped, and whispered echoed around. Maplekit could feel her heart tearing apart.

So

She padded sadly to Blazekit and Violetkit, who were weeping silently next to Swiftheart.

"Mommy." Maplekit asked shakily, tears in her eyes.

"Yes, my leaf." He mother answered dully.

"When is Dawnkit coming back.?" Maplekit asked..

Her mother sighed, tears dripping off her face. She rasped her tongue over each kit's head.

"I don't know." She choked out.

Maplekit sighed and curled up next to her mother and siblings.

It will be a long time. She thought