Chapter 22- Lilac

Mapleleaf lied under the tall oak tree next to the nursery, sighing as she curled her tail over her nose. Violetslash's loud groans and shrieks of pain sounded throught the camp as Hailstorm raced back and forth, carrying moss, herbs and other things in his mouth. She started kitting after she got night cough. Every so often he rushed out again to check on Roseleaf, who was sick and lying in her nest.

Watching Hailstorm run back and forth in a hurry made Mapleleaf dizzy. She padded up to him. "Want me to watch Voiletslash?" She asked.

Hailstorm nodded in relief, dropping the herbs he had in his mouth. "That would be nice. She is in a lot of pain. Give her these, to ease it a little." He mewed quickly, rushing away.

Inside the nursery was hot and stuffy. Violetslash lay shaking in her nest, panting. Her stomach would heave and she would moan in pain. Mapleleaf's heart sunk. She looked tinier then ever, scrunched into the moss.

Featherkit bounced around, a look of excitement on her face.

"When are the kits coming?" She asked Mapleleaf, who merely shrugged.

Hailstorm padded back in, wet miss dripping from his jaws. He placed the bundle in front of Violetslash, who lapped at it feebly.

She opened her mouth to say something, when she shrieked in pain, her head thumping on the ground.

"Violetslash!" Mapleleaf yelled, nudging her sister with her nose. Hailstorm stopped her.

"She passed out." He said quietly. "She usually wakes up from the pain." He sighed, closing his eyes. "She is very weak."

Mapleleaf looked at her paws. Sandpit wasn't even here. He was at a hunting patrol, and wouldn't be back till later.

The day dragged on. Violetslash kept passing out and waking up. She vomited a few times, and then passed out again. Mapleleaf hovered over her and lapped at her warm fur even though she might catch it. Sandpelt returned, and instantly was at her side, whispering in her ear and gently nudging her. Finally, after dusk when Silverpelt loomed in the sky and a cooling breeze swept though the nursery, there was two bundles of fur curled up at her belly. One was a dark dark gray, almost black, she cat and the other was exactly the same, but a Tom.

Violetslash opened her blurry eyes, staring at her kits.

"Lilackit and and Nightkit." She murmured, falling still again, he'd breathing slowing. Mapleleaf prayed to Starclan that meant she was starting to feel better.

Just to be sure, she curled up around her for the night and fell asleep.

Mapleleaf awoke to something cold pressing up against her. Through the dim light from the moon, she saw Violetslash sleeping against her. Suddenly, with a jolt, she remembered.

The cold feeling she felt when Rustlekit had died, his body cold and still. Her sister lied like that now, and she shook her and licked her, praying that she was passed out but there was nothing. She was dead.

Tears filled her eyes as she yowled to the sky.

"Violetslash! Wake up!"

Instantly, Hailstorm sprung into the nursery. Rustling and voices could be heard outside. When his blind eyes fixed on Violetslash, he started at Mapleleaf with a worried expression.

"What happened?!"

"I woke up and she was still and cold! I've been licking and shaking her but she won't open her eyes.

Lilackit mewled pitifully and snuggled her face into her dead mother's flank, searching with her tiny whiskers for milk. Nightkit was mewing loudly, shaking.

Mapleleaf grabbed his small body by the scruff and licked him, but his breathing slowed and slowed until his chest froze. Mapleleaf buried her face into the tiny scrap of fur. He was gone too.

Other cats poured in and carried the two cats out and Started giving their respects, lapping at her fur, which shone like the moon and the stars on a clear greenleaf night. Nightkit looked like a shadow curled up at her chest, sound and still. They looked like they were sleeping. It sent anger surging through Mapleleaf. They were dead! Not sleeping!

Although she couldn't even see, Mapleleaf carried Lilackit to her mother's body. As she pressed her nose into their fur, wincing as their familiar scent was washed away by death, she looked at Lilackit.

Her eyes were a beautiful purple color, like Violetslash's. Mapleleaf smiled through the tears and licked the kit's head.

And she almost thought she saw a sparkling tabby she cat watching her with a shining tiny black kit