Chapter 18: Clinging To Life

Maplepaw woke to damp fur trembling close to her pelt. She awoke to see Rustlekit shaking and whimpering next to her, like he had dragged himself from his nest to be with her.

Maplepaw didn't care, since it wasn't contagious. She licked the top of his head.

"Shhhh little one. Get some rest." She whispered.

He thrashed once, then fell into a still sleep. He had a blazing fever, and he hadn't drank since yesterday, before he ate the slime.

Roseleaf yawned, sitting up. "How is he?" She asked.

Maplepaw shook her head, looking down at the weak kit. His eyes were squeezed tight. He looked like a newborn.

"I need to go get him some water." Roseleaf replied, standing up and beginning to pad over to the water pool, where they got water for sick cats.

"No." Maplepaw mewed quickly. "I'll get it."

She wet the moss and carried it to Rustlekit, prodding him gently with her paw.

"Rustlekit." She whisprered. "Wake up and wet your tongue."

He moaned, lapping up a few drops before he coughed them back up, mewing feebly.

"Here." Roseleaf said, giving her a leaf. "Have him eat this outside. It'll help him bring his stomach contents out. He'll maybe feel better."

Maplepaw lifted up the kit. He squirmed.

"Maple...." He said quietly before falling asleep.

She sat him on the floor, rubbing his back.

"Eat this." She mewed. "You'll feel better."

He swallowed it. After a while, his stomach heaved and he vomited up a mouthful of black, smelly slime. Maplepaw's stomach clenched at the horrible smell, but smiled down at the kit.

"Good job!" She praised, carrying the kit into the den.

"Did it work?" Roseleaf asked.

Maplepaw set the wet moss in front of him. He lapped some more, and gave a small smile as he drank more. Maplepaw grabbed another ball of wet moss and cooled his fur by rubbing him with it.

His temperature lowered, and his eyes opened halfway.

"I'm hungry." He whined.

"You can't eat at the moment." Maplepaw replied. "You can later."

Rustlekit's stomach growled, and he looked up at her mournfully.

Maplepaw carried him behind the nursery were he made dirt. She set him in his nest.

"I had a bad dream." He whined in a quiet voice.

"It's okay." Maplepaw said, curling him up next to her. She began to hum to him until he fell asleep.

"You'd make a perfect mother." Roseleaf admired, smiling at Maplepaw.

"Thanks." Maplepaw smiled, lying her head in her nest.

As Rustlekit snuggled next to her, Maplepaw realized she wouldn't mind being a mother at all.