Chapter 4: Recovering

Maplekit stretched her eyes open. She yawned.

Am I not sick anymore? Has Roseleaf cured me? She thought

Suddenly she saw a kit that was black and white. He was staring at her.

"Hey! Over here! Am I in a different clan?" She called. The kit padded over.

Maplekit gasped. The kits fur was shining with stars. It's eyes were clear.

"Ahh! Am I in Starclan?" Maplekit screeched.

"Yes." The kit mewed, licking his paw.

"I'm dead!" Maplekit screamed.

The kit laughed. "No silly!" He cried. "Your dreaming!"

Maplkit sighed with relief. She suddenly relized she was talking to a complete total stranger.

"Who are you anyway?" She asked.

The kit stared at her with a blank gaze.

"I'm Patch, your brother." He mewed. He began to fade away.

"What! No!" Maplekit cried.

"What are you talking about!"

She woke up. Her vision was blurry. Roseleaf was weeping next to the empty nest that was Goldheart's.

"Roseleaf!" She croaked. Roseleaf's head snapped up.

"Maplekit! How are you feeling?" She asked, grabbing herbs from her supply.

"Thirsty." Maplekit groaned. Roseleaf fed her herbs and gave her water.

"Where is Goldheart?" Maplekit asked.

"She died. We buried her last sunrise." Roseleaf replied sadly.

Maplekit wasn't as sad, because she barely knew Goldheart.

Roseleaf headed for the entrance. "Let me tell Swiftheart and Whitestorm your ok." She replied, her bushy tail disappearing behind the bushes.

Maplekit waited. She thought about Patch. She thought about the cats she had saw in her dream last moon. She wondered who the heck they were.

The bushes rustled, and Roseleaf emerged from behind, leading Swiftheart and Whiteblaze in.

"My baby!" Swiftheart screeched, lapping quickly at Maplekit's forehead.

Whiteblaze gently moved her back.

"She is sick." He reminded her.

Swiftheart edged away. Happiness reflected on her eyes.

Roseleaf touched her tail tip onto Swiftheart's shoulder. "In a week she'll be fine." She murmured.

Apparently, Maplekit found out, Flykit and Coaltail had recovered. They just needed a little rest.

Violetkit trampled in. "Maplekit!" She squealed with delight. Bursting into the den. Blazekit trotted quickly after her.

"Can I play?!" Maplekit asked Roseleaf. Her bones ached for exercise.

"Sure." Roseleaf replied. "But don't be rough." She turned and continued sorting her herbs.

Maplekit played for a while. She began yawning.

Hailpaw, who was sharing food with Sandpaw, noticed.

"Come on." He mewed. "You need rest." He lead her to the medicine den.

"Why can't I sleep with my mom?" Maplekit asked.

"Your still a bit contagious." Hailpaw mewed gruffly. He gave her tansy and a poppy seed to help her sleep.

Maplekit's eyes grew heavy, and she fell asleep.