xiii

That evening after the feast, the newlywed immortals decided to go out and spend a night under the stars. Vader carried his petite wife on his shoulder as requested by his little wife as they traveled beyond the palace grounds and across some of the crystalline waters. Padmé had changed out of her beautiful wedding dress into a bustier and matching thong made out of deep cream silk. She kept her risqué ensemble covered by a gorgeous robe made of the same material that danced around her calves. Her makeup had been washed off and all the pins pulled out of her curly hair, leaving the new bride fresh and clean for the evening ahead. She leaned into the crook of his neck, gently tracing lines across his neck. "Where are we going, love?"

"Somewhere special..." Vader reached up with his opposite hand, gently giving her an affectionate squeeze. "You up to camp out on our first night as a married couple?"

"I suppose... I just hope you tucked some blankets in that sexy armor of yours." She pressed her lips against the skin behind his ear. "Sexy? You think my armor's sexy now?" He teased her, bringing the newly reborn immortal off his shoulder and into his hand. "Has marriage really changed your views of me so quickly?" She avoided his eyes, trying not to laugh. "I've always thought your armor to be sexy, Vader. I just never had the courage to vocalize it..." He chuckled softly, ducking into the side of a small mountain. "Whoa, where are we?" She pressed herself into his shoulder more.

"This used to be a volcano but about three-thousand years ago, it hardened to a solid mountain. It took a few centuries but I managed to chisel out the center of it then softened the ground up with some sand - volcanic and white." Vader came to a stop in the center of the volcano, the huge opening above them giving a glimpse of the amazing starry sky. "I've been keeping this little hideaway to myself for a long time and well, I figured I might share it with my wife... What do you think?" He carefully knelt down, setting her down on the sandy floor. Padmé spun around slowly, taking in the massive cavern's beauty and detail. He'd chiseled intricate designs and writings into the volcano's walls, the moonlight from above highlighting some of them.

"This place is so beautiful... I thought the palace was a work of art but it pales in comparison to this place, Vader. Did you do all this yourself or did you have help?"

"Well..." The Beast knelt down beside his little beauty, careful not to crush her. "Yes, I had some help... but not from anyone else exactly." He knew he had to finally give up the double identity with her, no longer needing to get close to her like before. "I don't understand, Love." She reached up and laid a hand on his knee. "I... I have to tell you something... but I'm afraid you'll be angry with me." He frowned slightly, running a finger over her back. "I should've told you a while back, really a few days after you got here-"

"Vader, just tell me." Padmé cut him off, grabbing onto his hand as best she could manage. "We need to be honest with one another - especially now that we're-"

"I know, Precious." Vader interrupted her, taking a deep breath. He remained silent for a moment, handing her a pair of black pants and a loose black tunic. "Hold this..." She looked at him confused as he stood up, backing up to the pitch black tunnel where he'd carried her in. "...now toss it into the shadows - towards where I just walked." He began to shift into his mortal form, sensing her hesitation. Despite not understanding the situation, she did as he asked and tossed the clothes into the dark area. She remained silent, waiting for him to say something - anything - to her.

"Don't freak out." Anakin's deep baritone came through the shadows as did he, wearing the clothes she'd just tossed onto the sand. "I can explain everything if you'll just give me the opportunity to do so." Padmé walked up to him, still not really getting the message. "Anakin? Oh, you can't be here; Vader's stepped out for a second for you to change I guess... Where in Corellian Hell did you come from?"