{8} Hurt

Zaynub Khalid

The place that I once called home turned cold and shallow. After Baba's death, Amu became so depressed and distant. I mean, who could blame her? Her husband just died. Plus, Hajar had been in a shock and tear phase. Something was up, but I couldn't grasp it out. I think something was going on at her school. 

I was going to ask her about it today because whenever I walked by her room I would hear quiet sobs. It was starting to worry me. Amir hasn't been getting sleep because of his new boss. She made him wake up in the middle of the night to check on the electricity in the building! 

Noorah started getting mood swings and she has weird cravings for pumpkin pie. Weird. She also has morning sickness. Being pregnant seems to be driving her crazy now. Then comes Zakir. He has got me more than confused right now.

He said he needed me and then walks out like nothing happened. Men were so confusing. Either you need me or you don't, but no he had to speak in riddles. I hated solving puzzles. They drove me nuts, and that's exactly what Zakir was doing to me! Boys will be boys, I sighed. After the encounter, he started acting all weird.

He lost all colors to his eyes and he seemed distant. Every time Laila tried to talk to him, he just pushed her away and mumbled stuff under his breath. He has this cold look in his eyes now. 

I started to head downstairs for lunch. Zakir's father went to check on their new house with Khadijah. Noorah, Deeliyah, and Laila went shopping for the party we have to attend later today. Zakir's mother was with Amu. 

I could hear soft laughter every now and then from the room they were in. It was great to hear Amu laugh a bit. I knew she was still upset, but she was trying to live up to the promise she made to Baba. 

As I walked into the kitchen I saw Zakir with his back turned to me talking on the phone with someone.

"How can she be so stupid?! I told her over and over again and she still doesn't understand? What the hell? I told her to leave it alone. I get that she's trying to show off, but she just risked my job. Ya Allah, now I have to fix this mess. Okay, just leave it for now. I'll deal with it later," he said and then hung up.

She? Is he in a relationship with someone? That's haraam (forbidden)! Wait, I shouldn't jump to conclusions. Maybe he's talking about that girl from work. Maybe that's why he got all cold and scary. 

Zakir then turned around and almost jumped seeing me. I must have startled him. His shocked expression then changed to one of anger. Why is he mad at me?

"You know you shouldn't listen in on  another person's conversation," he spat out.

"I'm sorry, I was just trying to get something to eat," I quietly said.

"Don't do it again," he glared.

Why is his anger directed at me? I didn't do anything. Not this time at least. 

"Zakir, what's wrong? Why are you so angry?" I asked.

"Wouldn't you like to know? It's none of your concern. Just leave it," he rudely said.

"Then why are you so angry at me?" I asked even more confused than before.

"Why are you asking so many questions?! This has nothing to do with you. Just leave it!" he yelled.

"Well, some people actually care about another person's well being!" I yelled back.

"You would never understand. You never even cared, so why do you care now?!" he narrowed his eyes at me,