{19} Welcome Back

Zaynub Khalid

I cuddled up my sleeping nephew to my chest. Uthman was my new nephew. He was so small and tiny. He had hazel eyes like Hajar and was such a peaceful little thing. He reminded me of Noorah. She was quiet and reserved just like her son, but Uthman looked more like Amir in physical appearance.

I placed Uthman in his bed and gently shut the door. We were back home after the third day at the hospital. It was funny how many times I ended up at the hospital. I shook my head, we were a family that lured trouble to us. In Shaa Allah (If Allah wills it) I wouldn't end up at the hospital anytime soon.

Anyway, Zakir had been spending some time visiting me at my parent's house. Today was the day I go back. I mean it had been almost a week and a half. I was pretty sure everything was calm now and everyone had time to cool their heads.

Besides, I needed to be there to support my mother-in-law. The doctor said she should be able to get her memory back soon. The problem was that no one ever knew what would happen. We just had to make duaa (small prayer) and see what Allah would do. Allah always did things for the best. Most people have a hard time remembering that.

Knock Knock.

I answered the door and came face-to-face with Zakir.

"Are you ready yet?"

"Yeah. Just give me a minute and I'll be down."

"Ugh," he groaned. "Whenever a girl says that it ends up being longer than a minute."

I raised my eyebrows.

"What? I have three sisters. I know how females work," he shrugged.

I just shook my head and pushed him out of my room.

Gathering my bags, I went out the door. I wanted to say salaams to Uthman before I left. I already loved him as if he were my own son. He was so innocent and pure. His eyes had this curious glow to it. It was so cute.

I walked into his room and saw Amir playing with him.

"Would you look at that? The boy that used to play with cars and Pokemon is now a father," I smirked.

Amir's head snapped to mine and then he glared, "There's nothing wrong with Pokemon."

"Of course there isn't," I rolled my eyes. "Now give me my little nephew so I can say salaams to him."

"Sorry but Uthman doesn't like it when you insult his dad. You better say sorry," he grinned.

"What? No way! I'm not apologizing. Besides, you know I was kidding."

"Nope. Apologize and then you get to say salaams."

"You're so mean to me," I pouted.

"I don't care. I still expect the apology. Even Uthman wants you to say it."

"As if."

"Say it or else no Uthman," he bargained.

"What? That's not fair! He's my nephew."

"And he loves his father more so ha."

"Fine I'm sorry for... I don't even know what anymore. Just hand me Uthman."

"Bossy much?" he muttered before he handed me Uthman.

"Hey! I heard that," I laughed.

Uthman started staring at us like we were crazy and he was trying to figure us out. Amir and I laughed. That was when Noorah walked in.