Chapter 9

I didn't remember much of the surgery at all. I couldn't feel my stitches either. They'd given me some expensive drugs for the procedure that numbed my pain.
I looked around to see that I was in a room similar to the one Connor and I had first been placed in... But Connor wasn't in this one.

When I realized I wasn't restrained I slowly and carefully pulled myself up, feeling surprisingly....... Alert and not feeling much near my ribs at all.

I smiled, it was my turn to "try" and rescue Connor. Of course I could always just leave him here..... After all I hardly knew him, and if he didn't wake up from his coma, he'd only slow me down.

I huffed and sighed loudly like a little kid pouting. I realized I wouldn't be able to leave him behind because he was the only one who could take me to this so called "Joker" person.... He was the only one who could help me.

Cautiously I crept to the door and put my ear up to it. I couldn't hear a thing. If this really was just a different room.... Maybe Connor's room was somewhere close by.

I slowly began to turn the door handle, but of course, it was locked. This was just my day wasn't it.... Or "days" I should add.

I scanned over the room in hopes of finding another exit. Straight back and to the left of the locked door was a window. I hurried over, and again, was met with disappointment.

I was far too many stories up to even attempt climbing out of here.

I walked back over the bed I had woke up on and noticed some clothing lying on the end of it.

A silky black dress along with under garments and a pair of black flats.

Oh great, so now they want me to be a hooker.

I scuffed at the clothing and continued searching the room for god knows what.

A knock at the door.

I quickly grabbed what i thought was a syringe and hid behind the door. Wait, no! I swiftly glided to the bed and layed down, pretending to be asleep.

I heard the door open slightly, as if whoever it was, was trying to be silent now. A small "click" and I knew the door was closed again. Light footsteps crept towards my bedside and I tried to control my breathing.

This was my chance.

A finger was placed right under my nose and then a satisfied sigh. Hurriedly I thrust my hand, holding the syringe, towards the strangers neck but my wrist was caught mid air by-

My eyes widened.

Dr. Jonathan Crane.

I was frozen in disbelief. He took my weapon from me and crossed his arms. He spoke in a hushed but hurried whisper.

"You're a long way from the Gotham County Hospital, Sarah."

"That's not my name and you know it." I glared at him.

He squinted at me, "Hmph. You must've hit your head harder than I thought. Why don't we go get that checked out? Hmm? Then after we can have a nice long chat."

I bit my lips and glanced towards the door.

Make a run for it girly.

This voice in my head- I was tempted.

Just do it.

I bolted for the door but was dragged down to a the floor by strong arms.

A sharp pain.

I was let go of, giving me time to stand up and I made it out the door.

Grabbing my neck, I began to run away. But that run turned into a jog which soon turned into a limp, which soon turned to black.