III: To Be a Maid ☁️

As Lumiere led Plumette to her room, she couldn't help herself but ask him one too many questions. Luckily, Lumiere was more than happy to answer her.

"Where does the Prince sleep?" She asked.

"The servants and royal family are separated in the castle. The Prince stays in the West Wing most of the time, and the servants lounge in the East Wing." He answered.

"And why is it the Prince wants his eggs.. how did the chef put it... shapely?" She asked innocently.

Lumiere suddenly stopped in his tracks abruptly (almost yanking Plumette back) and began laughing (quite loudly).

"Ha! Ha! Oh, my Mademoiselle you really are magnificent. Ha! Shapely Eggs! I can't believe he would ask for such silly things still!" Said Lumiere as he wiped a tear from his eye.

"Oh, was I not supposed to say that?" She asked wide eyed. Since Plumette was not taught how to act in high society, she was not sure how or what she was to say. To be honest, she just wanted to get on with the cleaning and stay invisible if she could.

"Do not worry Mademoiselle, I shall help you with your etiquette. As for now, let me show you, your room." He said as he led her towards a large white double door, that (to no surprise) had very detailed designs.

"I get my own room?" She asked as she eyed the detailed door.

"Why of course! Why wouldn't you?" Said Lumiere and he opened the double doors.

He led Plumette in the room, and if she could, she would have fainted right then and there.

The room was quite large, and in the middle stood a queen sized bed with a canopy hanging over it. The patterns on the sheets were detailed with different assortments of flowers and the main colors of the room were pastels and gold decor in almost every corner in the room. There was a large window with a gorgeous view of the castles gardens, and there was a long lounge seat with quite detailed pillows resting on it. Beside the bed stood a nightstand and a large golden candelabra and next to that a small journal and feathered pen were placed on it as well.

On the bed, there was a beautiful white dress, white fancy shoes and a elegant white wig. Alongside that, there was a beautifully crafted feather duster, with a jeweled white swan as the handle.

"This is a room for a maid?! This is- Monsieur is this real?" said Plumette as wandered around the room. Lumiere chuckled and leaned against the door frame.

"Of course, Mon cheri! Forgive me, but is it really that surprising?" he asked as he  walked towards her. Plumette nodded and walked towards the bed and jumped on right on top of it.

"Well, I was raised in a brothel Monsieur! Oh, these pillows are so soft! Ahem, I slept in a room with five other women and it was not as big as this!" exclaimed Plumette as she shoved her face in the sheets. Lumiere was amused at her actions, but there was one thing she said that he was quite surprised at.

"A brothel?" asked Lumiere.

"Yes! A woman working there found me on the street when I was a baby and raised me as her own. I never worked as a whore, I just cleaned and helped with dinner." she said as she sat up cross-legged on the flower printed bed.

(Not for nothing, but Lumiere was quite relieved hearing this.)

"Ah, I see. Was your care-giver kind to you?" he asked.

"Oh yes, she was like my own mother. I always wondered why my parents had left me on the street as if I were a dog." she said as she twiddled her fingers.

Lumiere's heart twinged a bit in hearing this. He couldn't imagine were he'd be if it wasn't for his parents. Plumettes sweet voice pulled him out of his thoughts.