Chapter 19

Mackenzie's POV

I could hear Maddie in the next room. The familiar sound of feet against our shiny timber floors travelled to my ears, telling me she was dancing. Maddie doesn't dance anywhere but her bedroom nowadays. No one could ever know she's still the same girl she was five years ago, hidden under the caked on makeup. I threw myself of my bed and onto my tired feet. Slowly I walked out my door and out into the hallway. Feeling as if I was in a daze I raised my hand to Maddie's doorknob. My warm hand turned the shiny metal and I heard the music stop and the gentle pounding of jazz shoes stopped. I heard a thud just as I opened the door. Maddie was sprawled across her bed, her phone in one hand and a tube of lipgloss in the other. Her eyes moved over the magazine in front of her. She was wrapped up in a silk robe and her feet were shoved into ugg boots that looked too small for her. I rolled my eyes and sat down gingerly on her desk chair. For the first time her bright blue eyes strayed from her magazine. Her piercing gaze saw straight through my casual, gum chewing exterior. I could tell she knew exactly why I was here. "Well?" She stared me right in the eye, like she was daring me. "Well, I'm sorry Maddie. I was an idiot and the whole idea of being the best got to my head. I stuffed up and you got the worst of it. I just want my sister back." I breathed heavily, surprised at what just came out of my mouth. Maddie looked equally as shocked. "No Kenz. It's my fault. I've always been horrid to you. I know I don't deserve it but I want you back too." A small frown crept onto her lips when I didn't say anything. I quickly ran into her arms and squeezed her tight. A laugh espcaped her glossy lips. "I missed you Kenz." I buried my head into her shoulder a whispered, "I missed you too."