Chapter 15: Behind the Masks

...

Behind the Masks

...

A frustrated sigh blew out from her mouth as Estella glanced over at Ciel who was seated opposite her for the fourth time ever since the carriage drove out of the manor's gates and every time she did that, staring out of the window will be what she sees him do. It's a wonder how he can do that for the past twenty minutes without getting a neck ache.

Not a word from him ever since that 'Tch' he given her in return to her comment when he entered this carriage. Damn it. This silence's really getting on her nerve. Estella stifled a yawn before glancing out at the view outside. Only to be met with flashes of trees flying past and she was pretty sure it has been like that for quite a while.

She let out another sigh. That's it; she can't stand this any longer.

"Hey, Phantomhive."

Eye narrowing at the window, his lips pressed together into a frown line. A drawl laced with a tone of boredom came as a response. "It's Master, Blancbaston."

Estella scoffed. "Shouldn't I be addressing you by that since I'm supposed to be your cousin tonight?"

An unimpressed eyebrow shot up at her. "In case you don't know, let me inform you that the mission hasn't started. Yet." Ciel said, folding his arms across his chest. "Once we reach the manor, that will be the time when I'll allow you to address me with that. Tonight as an exception aside, I expect that you always address me as simply 'Master' or 'Master Phantomhive', know your place. Hear me?"

"Sureeee….." She rolled her eyes at him and shrugged.

Her eyebrows then furrowed in annoyance when she realized that he have gone quiet again. Oblivious to the incredulous look on her face, he continued staring at the outside.

Honestly, will it kill him to converse? She thought, eying the male irritably.

Then out of nowhere, a sudden urge to annoy him to hell came at her. "Wow." Estella started with a sardonic smile on her face. "Even though being a girl in disguised as a male, it's amazing that I can actually look better than you who is a real one."

Seeing that Ciel looked liked he's too caught up in his own world, she let out a soft sigh, figuring that her attempt to annoy him to hell would go unnoticed.

"No, you don't." Eyes wide-opened at that, she snapped her head up in surprise to see him with a deadpanned look. "Seriously, Blancbaston, take a look at yourself in a mirror. Just one glance, I can easily tell that you're a girl. You-"An abrupt turn of the carriage cut him in mid-sentence and in the meanwhile, had them lightly pressing up against the side of the carriage as it turned.

"Looks like that the mission's about to start." Estella glanced up at the male upon hearing his comment before turning to the window to realize he's right. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she watched the manor crept closer and closer. Unsettling feelings fluttered in her as she gazed out of the window with unconcealed anticipation.

Taking in a deep breath, she turned back to Ciel to only have a stab of surprise at her when she found him watching her. She shot him a raised eyebrow. "What?" Estella tilted her head in puzzlement, watching as he blinked blankly once, then twice at her.

His eye then lit up in realization. Tearing it away from her, Ciel cursed inwardly at himself. He was staring at her. He was freaking staring at her. Why in the world was he doing that?

Noticing the questioning raised eyebrow at him, Ciel huffed with a frown. "Nothing."

With eyebrows raised even higher, Estella gave a mere casual shrug of shoulders in return before turning back to the view outside. She sucked in a deep gulp of breath and released it as fast as she took it in as she thoughtlessly gazed out at the lawn of flowers that the carriage was moving through. "It's going to be a long night…." She mumbled. A grunt of agreement from the male was it before they fall into silence.