Chapter 4: Forging the Bond

A/N: I know I said Ana's first time was coming next, but as I started writing, the chapter got SO LONG that I decided to break it into two. I really wanted to establish the development of their emotional bond, but I swear that Ana's first time is next – and I put some heat in there for you crazy hell cats. I am posting two chapters at once, so I hope I am forgiven for dragging it out. Please enjoy!

JAMIE POV

We're in the final weeks of shooting and I can't believe how fast time has passed. All that is left are the sex scenes, and I am surprisingly calm about the prospect. Dakota and I have bonded – for life. We have developed a strong emotional intimacy forged through deep conversations and shared experiences.

****

Five weeks ago – Millie brings Dulcie to the set for a visit.

We are blocking a scene when all of a sudden Dakota starts jumping up and down. "There she is! There she is!" She bolts to the door and I see Millie walking in with Dulcie in her baby seat.

Millie smiles hesitantly as hurricane Dakota approaches her. "OH my God! We're excited you're here and we're so happy to meet this baby doll! Can I please hold her?"

Millie sets the baby seat on a table and shrugs out of her jacket and smiles stiffly. "Well, actually, she needs a new nappy and a change of clothes, maybe in a bit."

"Oh, pfft. You go and let Jamie show you off. I can take care of my girlfriend here." She leans in to smile at Dulcie and the baby reaches for her immediately.

Millie steps forward. "Dakota, you know she's not a doll. She's a baby."

Dakota doesn't get her hostility and laughs at her. "She's a DOLL BABY! She's gorgeous. Please let me take care of her. I've missed having a baby around to love on. I promise I will be careful and I swear I know what I'm doing. Jamie is excited to have you here. Go meet his friends and let me deal with this for a few minutes. I really want to help."

I step in. "Mils, she's got this. Come, I want you to meet some people." I take her arm and lead her away and look back to mouth 'thank you' to Dakota.

She scoops up Dulcie and her diaper bag and cuddles her close as walks out of the room singing nonsensical things to my daughter. The next time I see them is when Millie and I return after making the rounds. Dakota has laid out a blanket on the floor and is playing with Dulcie. The baby is on her back and kicking her legs happily as she holds one of Dakota's fingers and reaches for her hair with her other hand. Dakota leans down to blow a raspberry on her belly and Dulcie laughs out loud – a big baby belly laugh. Dakota laughs too and does it again, causing Dulcie to convulse in laughter once again.

"Oh my God! She laughed! I've never heard that before." I'm delighted with my brilliant daughter and head towards them as my wife sneers beside me, "Maybe if you were home more, you would have heard it. This isn't new, James."

Dakota stands to smile at us. "You two do great work. She is absolutely beautiful and so well tempered. Thanks for letting me have some time with her."

Millie smiles tensely, but doesn't say a word as she scoops up Dulcie as if she is looking for marks on her body.

Dakota folds the blanket and packs it into the bag and offers, "Listen you two, I know you guys need a break. Please let me babysit. I'll come sit with her at your apartment so you can go out or I'll bring her to my place. Whatever you are comfortable with." She claps her hands suddenly. "Or! What about this! When my girlfriend Jamie had her baby, I went over and babysat at her house so she could do nothing more than sleep uninterrupted!"