Chapter 13: Kick to a Toned Irish Ass

DAKOTA POV

This man is infuriating. And exhausting. I try desperately to remember all of Mama's counsel over the years and pick my words wisely.

"Jamie, I'm going to choose to ignore that last statement for several reasons. First, I don't think you mean it. Second, it's simply juvenile. We are in a bad spot. It happens. And it will happen again. That doesn't mean you cut and run. That means you figure out how to deal with it like adults. Third, do you honestly think speculation about us will stop when filming ends? You can't be that naïve."

He tries to respond, "But..."

"Shut up. It's my turn to talk." I take a deep breath and continue on, "And whoring out?" I give a laughing scoff that is anything but humorous. "I don't know what it means in Northern Ireland, but it's clearly different here since going to an event with a gay man doesn't even come close."

"No, but this is just the first. I'm sure they'll do it again. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll hook you up with your new boy toy Jared Leto."

"For God's sake, Jamie. Get a grip on your damn jealousy. He was simply THERE – he said hello – we chatted – he moved on. You're picking up Christian Grey's bad side here."

I pace and snort angrily, "That night I wished I was Christian Grey. I would have called Taylor or Sawyer to get him away from you. And maybe put a mark on his pretty boy face."

"Jamie, do you hear how crazy you sound? There were hundreds of people around us – not to mention cameras. There was ZERO chance of anything out of place happening."

"There'll be a next time, another function when they pull out somebody more believable than Matt."

"Yes, they probably will. And they'll probably escalate your appearances with Amelia and try to make you look more intimate. Does that change anything between us? How we feel about each other? How we keep ourselves true to each other?"

He snipes at me, "And you'd be perfectly okay with that? Me appearing more intimate with Amelia?"

"I'd be irritated as hell, but I would understand the motive and I would trust you until you give me a reason not to. I hate seeing any woman touch you or you touch any woman, but my eye is on the prize and I am willing to play the game to get there."

My inner bitch stands up and flexes her core before placing her fists on her hips. "And I can play the game without whoring myself out. Nobody is going to get any part of me, Jamie. Nobody. No kisses. No touches. And certainly no fucking. I'm insulted as hell that you felt you had to lay down boundaries. I'm a big girl, Jamie – a smart girl. And forgive me for saying, but I've been in this business longer than you in spite of your age. I know what the hell I'm doing. Give me some credit."

"You don't have to remind me of your pedigree and experience. It's not the first time I've been in a relationship with someone who outpaces me." Now it's his turn to give a mirthless laugh.

"Stop it. Right now. Just stop. I'm not Keira and you are not the same Jamie. And don't you dare ever compare our situation to that one – or your marriage for that matter – ever again. What we have is ours and ours alone. And if you don't want to fight for it, if I'm not worth the shit we have to go through, then tell me now. Otherwise, quit your damn whining and we'll deal with this when I get back."

"I'm not whining, Dakota. I'm trying to spare us both the pain of this circus."

"So you're ready to give me up? Because if you are, I'm not waiting around anymore. I refuse to be put on hold. I feel like I've already waited a lifetime for you. My waiting days are over." I pause to let that sink in. "I suggest you think carefully about that, Jamie. If you don't want to fight for us, I'll let you go. I'll hate it and I'll mourn your loss, but I'll move on with my life and you'll regret it for the rest of yours."