Chapter 12: Met Gala Games

DAKOTA POV

As expected, Jamie was not taking the news of me going to the Met Gala with a date very well – he's been in a pouty snit ever since we got back from Colorado. His birthday is in a few days, and I'll already be in New York, so I decided to arrange a few surprises for him early. Plus, I wanted us back on better footing before I left town.

His body guard was a more than willing accomplice, and along with some help from a few of the prop masters, we filled, and I mean literally FILLED his trailer with balloons. I took great pleasure in putting them places he might not find until days later – like his cabinets, the duffle bag he keeps in his closet, and underneath the pillows on his bed.

We all hung out in my trailer as we waited for him to arrive. As soon as he went to open his door, we poured out of my trailer so we could capture the moment. I wasted no time in posting a 'Happy Early Birthday' message on Instagram – knowing the fans would love hearing about his birthday and knowing he was being celebrated.

He laughed out loud when he opened his door and tried to climb into his trailer. After a few minutes he appeared at his door and seemed equal parts amused and annoyed. "Who the fuck?????"

All heads swung in my direction, and I guiltily sidled next to his body guard and slid my arm through his. If I was going down, he was going with me. I grinned up at Jamie and blew him a little kiss. He smiled and shook his head, but didn't blow the kiss back to me. Not sure why that bothered me, but it did.

Olivia reminded me I was due in makeup, so I gathered my stuff and said to the group at large, "I ordered him a butt load of chicken wings that will be delivered this afternoon. If you're hungry around 3, come help him out."

Today we are filming what has become known as the 'DIMPLE' scene – which I learned stood for 'Dakota in most provocative lingerie ever.' The hairdresser is finishing the final touches on my up do hair while I read Jamie's interview in Vogue Italy. Even though I am fully aware of the platform, seeing quotes about his family and the 'fundamentals,' and his brilliant wife made me want to absolutely bust a gut. I know it's so much bullshit, but it still hurts. And I know it's only the beginning. I need to get a grip and quickly.

I turn my phone to silent, throw it in my bag, close my eyes and work to get in the right mental zone. Once in costuming, it took them twenty minutes to get me situated exactly like they wanted in my custom Agent Provocateur lingerie. As I look in the mirror, I feel as sexy as I look and can't help but smile as I preen and twist to see different angles. Oh hell yeah, this is good – very, very good. A giggle snort escapes me as I think to myself, this will get him out of his snit. I know my guy, and the lingerie coupled with the fuck-me-now stilettos will bring him to his knees. My inner bitch gives me a high five and we slip on a robe and make our way to the set.

When I arrive, Jamie is there – along with a whole bunch of other people. Is it just me or are there people here who don't need to be? Regardless, we block the scene with minimal effort and conversation.

When Foley is ready to shoot, I drop my robe and there is a hush on the set. From a distant corner I hear, "Holy mother of god...."

More importantly, I hear Jamie's muttered, "Goddammit I am so fucked."

There is a chuckle and then Foley breaks the tension, "She looks sexy as hell! Get over it people. Take a breath please, and let's move on." There is a moment of silence and someone starts a slow clap. It eventually turns into applause and I blush, smile, turn and curtsy to the team. Someone shouts out, "Jamie is a lucky fuck!"

Jamie approaches me and smiles, "Yes he is!" He shouts to the room at large, emitting a chuckle. He reaches for my hands and lifts them to kiss the back of each before saying, "Can you wear this when you get back from New York – everything except the panties?" He looks me up and down and takes a deep breath. "Shit – not sure how I'm supposed to get through this scene – you render me speechless."