- 26. macey -

"And that's the last of it," Ironhide and I may or may not have been trying to procrastinate on getting the plane packed with his-very limited-things. He barely filled one box with the clothing he wore when he used the holoform and the rest were huge shipping crates that were filled with different types of weapons and parts for said weapons. The box of clothing used to be completely full. That was until I raided it of the shirts that smelled like him to keep while he was gone, not that he needed to know that.

"You sure you're going to be okay here? I know there's no way I can stay here," my mood dropped even further, "but I'm sure that I could pull some stings for someone else to stay. Anyone but him." I knew exactly who Ironhide was referring to as 'him'. My Ex, well ex-fiancé more like. At one point in my life, I believed that he was the love of my life and no one would ever split us apart. But I was wrong. I was naïve and stupid, something Ironhide used to tell me all the time before I knew about him.

"For the hundredth time, Ironhide, I'm going to be fine," he didn't seem convinced. "Trust me on this. Plus it isn't like I can avoid him forever. Somehow I have been able to miraculously avoid him for a few years now, but now I can't."

"First off, it was only the third time I've asked that question. Secondly, I understand that, but I still don't trust him alone with you," this was the one side of Ironhide that I didn't enjoy all of the time: his protective side. Yes, it was amazing to see how much he cared for me, but sometimes I feel like I can't do anything without him knowing of it.

"And I get that you don't trust him, neither do I in all honesty-"

He interrupted, "then let's get someone else to stay here!"

"Ironhide, no! I can handle him. And it isn't like we're going to be alone in a room together. I'm having almost fifty kids staying with me who range from five years old to seventeen. We're probably not going to have time to sit down. Okay?" I realized that my tone was extremely harsh, so I toned it down a bit, "please just trust me like I trust that you aren't going to cause any problems in D.C. while I'm not there."

This seemed to help his mood a little bit, and with a coy smile he said, "no promises, Stubbs."

•••

I don't even want to replay the memory of Ironhide boarding the plane to D.C. Let's just say that there were many tears from both of us. I almost may of screamed at one of the men who helped to load him on the plane, but that is another story for another day. I knew completely that he and the other Autobots were going to be fine, but it was still that thought of being away from him for a whole week that scared me.

I've been up in the old conference rooms since the plane left. I was grading projects to try and distract myself, but I stopped when there was a knock at the door.

"Come in!" The door opened to reveal the familiar brown hair that was my best friend: Will. "You're leaving now?"

He scratched the back of his head, "yeah, we have five minutes until we have to be in the air. Are you sure that you're okay here?" I knew by his question that there were many different questions imbedded in that one. Are you okay here with Thomas? Are you okay here without Ironhide? Are you okay at all?" He sounded like a conserved mother who won't allow for those child to go off to collage.

"Yes, William, I promise you." It wasn't completely false, but it also wasn't completely true.

"Alright," he opened his arms, "com'er."

Without second thought, I got up and wrapped my arms around him. This wasn't like any other hug Will had given me before. Not when Thomas broke up with me. Not when he first was sent overseas. And not when I had gotten my job here at NEST.