Chapter 13

"Flamepaw! Brackenpaw! Heatherpaw!" The cats of SunClan cheered their three newest apprentices, as they bounded around in excitement. Lionclaw, Goldenleaf and Adderstrike were their respective mentors and all three of them looked just as excited. Dawnpaw knew that Fawnheart was upset she wasn't getting an apprentice, but she was their sister, though Dawnpaw didn't think Fawnheart would go very easy on them.

"Where are we going first?" Flamepaw asked Lionpaw eagerly, her green eyes glowing brighter than the sun.

"How about a tour of the territory?" Lionclaw asked with a playful glint in his eyes. Dawnpaw let out a purr and approached Lionclaw.

"Don't forget to teach her all the boring tasks like collecting moss." Dawnpaw teased, flicking his ear with her tail.

"Excuse you," Lionclaw held his head up proudly. "I am a very mature mentor who will teach my apprentice every skill she will ever need."

Dawnpaw let out a chuckle. "I have no doubt." She purred and Lionclaw gave a warm look.

"We're denmates now, Dawnpaw!" Flamepaw jumped around the two cats. "Though," She stopped. "Shouldn't you and Turtlepaw be warriors soon?"

Dawnpaw sighed. "We should be." She looked at Thornpelt who was speaking with Applespots. "I hope so."

She felt a nudge from Lionclaw, pulling her attention back to the two of them. "Don't worry, you'll be a warrior before you know it." Dawnpaw felt soothed and grateful for his words. "We should get going, Heatherpaw and Brackenpaw already left." As he and Flamepaw headed for the entrance Lionclaw called over his shoulder: "I'll see you later, Dawnpaw!" With that, the two of them vanished outside of camp, leaving Dawnpaw alone.

Dawnpaw stood in place for a moment, glancing at the nursery for a moment. Inside was just Willownose and Cloudkit. It had been over a moon since Dovetail died and SunClan was still struggling to adjust without her. Her family is particular was taking it incredibly hard, but they were all constantly visiting Cloudkit.

Dawnpaw sighed and turned away, heading for her mentor. She waited for him to stop his conversation with Applespots before she spoke. "Should I go hunting?" She questioned.

Thornpelt nodded. "Get as much prey as you can, now that the rain stopped I can guarantee that snow is on the way. Hunt as long as possible, but stay away from the AshClan border, they get testy during leaf-bare." Dawnpaw didn't argue, at least she would be by herself. She gave a small nod and turned away, making her way outside the camp. Dawnpaw wasn't quite sure why he wanted her to stay away from the AshClan border, but she would be sure to cover as much ground as possible.

The rain had been over for quite a while but the air was still chilly, SunClan was preparing for leaf-bare. She broke off towards the MoonClan border, hoping to catch a stray rabbit close to the border, there was no accidently crossing a river. She sniffed the air, the cold stinging her nose. She ignored the pain and kept hunting, as she tracked her hopes came true as she caught the scent of rabbit. Dropping into a crouch, Dawnpaw began searching for her prey. Near the river was the rabbit, plump and hunting for food. Dawnpaw extended her claws, keeping her breath silent. With a single step forward, Dawnpaw attacked. The rabbit didn't have any time to react before her claws were sinking into it's body and her teeth biting the back of it's neck, killing it quickly.

Feeling proud of her hunt, Dawnpaw buried her catch and continued. She kept hunting, sniffing around for more prey. She padded along the river, keeping her eye out for any sign of prey but she was starting to think that she got lucky with the rabbit and wouldn't find much else. She had walked more than half-way back to camp before she caught the scent of mouse. Dropping into her crouch she tracked the mouse down, finding the tiny creature sniffing for seeds. It was incredibly small, but it would be enough to feed Cloudkit.