Chapter 24

Dawnfire moved through the forest with ease, Turtleblaze was beside her and Brackenpelt behind them, Snowtail led the patrol. They had just left the AshClan border and were heading back to camp. The forest was lush and green and newleaf was in full bloom, everything was new and growing. Dawnfire, and many of SunClan's cats were hoping this would bring kits. Cloudkit was nearly an apprentice and he was the only inhabitant of the nursery with the exception of Willownose. Recently, Willownose had returned to warrior duties, but still kept Cloudkit company in the nursery.

The patrol pushed through the entrance of camp and Snowtail reported to Thornpelt while Brackenpelt joined Heatherflight and Squirreltail by the fresh-kill pile.

"Dawnfire," Dawnfire turned to see Flowerstar standing outside her den. "I'm glad you're back, would you mind coming into my den? I want to talk to you about something."

"Of course, Flowerstar." Dawnfire looked at her brother who nodded at her.

"Have fun with that," He said. "I'm gonna see if I can join another patrol." He padded quickly away and went over to Thornpelt.

Dawnfire was suddenly nervous, what did Flowerstar want to talk about? Was it Thornpelt, she had been avoiding the deputy as much as possible, maybe she had noticed, but without hesitation Dawnfire quickly went over to Flowerstar and followed her inside the SunTree.

"What did you need, Flowerstar?" Dawnfire dipped her head respectfully before asking. What was this about?

"Cloudkit is finally six moons old, and is ready to become an apprentice." She said. "As you know, Dovetail wanted you to become Cloudkit's mentor." She said, for a moment Dawnfire was excited before Flowerstar continued talking. "But, I don't want to make you a mentor simply because Dovetail wanted you to be."

"Oh," Dawnfire spirit's dropped. Why take me in here just to tell me I can't mentor Cloudkit? "I understand. Who are you going to chose for his mentor, if you don't mind me asking?"

"I never said I wasn't going to chose you, Dawnfire." Flowerstar added, taking Dawnfire by surprise. "I simply said that I wasn't going to just because Dovetail wanted you to be. Dovetail was my neice, daughter to Stormwind and I want her kit to be mentored by the best. Not only do I think you'll do an incredible mentor but I know you will teach Cloudkit how to be an honorable and brave warrior."

Dawnfire was nearly speechless, she figured that Flowerstar was mad at her for bringing up Thornpelt. "Are you sure?"

"I've thought a lot about this," Flowerstar continued. "And there's no other cat I would want to be Cloudkit's mentor than you."

Dawnfire dipped her head. "Thank you so much, Flowerstar. This means so much to me, I won't let your or Dovetail down."

"I'm sure you won't," Flowerstar rested her tail on Dawnfire's shoulders. "I understand your concerns with Thornpelt, and I did take what you said into consideration." Dawnfire looked up in surprise. "But, unless Thornpelt proves to me himself that he is a traitor I cannot take any action against him. I'm sure he is a loyal warrior at heart."

Dawnfire nodded, she didn't want to argue, Flowerstar was an incredible leader and if something happened, Dawnfire knew that Flowerstar would make the right choice.

"Now," Flowerstar's gaze softened with happiness. "Let's get to that ceremony." She purred. Dawnfire nodded and they stepped outside. Flowerstar turned and jumped onto the SunTree, climbing to the top branch. "Let all cats enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the SunTree for a Clan meeting!" Her voice rang out through the camp, filling Dawnfire with a sense of safety and comfort.