Chap 11

Sinbad toyed with a pepper shaker as he sat at on a stool at the diner. You grew fidgety as he didn't answer your previous question, "can I get you anything?" You asked, toying with your notepad.

Sinbad sharply looked up at you, "you know what I hate?" He asked rhetorically.

You chuckled, "people taking your order...?" You asked, unsure.

He shook his head, "no. Taking people's orders."

A confused look came to your face, trying to cover up that you knew of his personal life. "Why would you do that?" You asked with a raised brow and slight amusement.

He scoffed and grabbed a menu, "you don't know my dad," he said as he scanned the menu with perplexed expressions.

You bit your lip, 'that's what you think...' You thought as you waited for his order.

He cringed as he came across a specific item, "ugh. Sushi and doughnuts? Who does that?" He asked with disgust.

You giggled and offered a weak smile. Sinbad put the menu away, "I'll take a coffee."

Rurumu watched you intently. "Excuse me, miss?" Someone asked. Rurumu put up a hand, wanting to have her full attention on you.

You nodded and pulled put a small plate along with a mug. As you took out the kettle filled halfway with coffee, Sinbad spoke again.

"Do you ever feel like if you show someone who you really are they won't accept you?" He asked seriously while keeping his eyes to the counter.

You poured the coffee into the mug, allowing the warm steam to spread out into the diner. You nodded at this question, "yeah... I do. Like... Being yourself isn't good enough."

Sinbad chuckled and poured in sugar to get rid of the bitter taste, he grabbed spoon and began stirring it in. He chuckled at your response, agreeing.

You soon got an idea, "like you're wearing a mask..." You commented.

Sinbad looked up at you, "that's exactly how I feel," he said as he took a sip, not keeping his eyes off you.

You gained more confidence, "y-you just wanna be honest and tell them.. It's me. I'm the one you're looking for," you said seriously.

Sinbad nodded with a smile, soaking in every word that came out of your mouth, "yeah..." He mumbled.

You took in a deep breath, disregarding the sound of the bell at the door ringing. "Sinbad..." You started, "I'm-"

"Y/N!"

You sighed and saw Madaura staring right at you, waiting for you to come over. You held up a hand, signaling for her to wait, "one second."

"No, now." She demanded. You sighed as a sad look grew on your face. Sinbad held up a finger as he finished his coffee.

He put the mug down, "no, it's fine. I gotta go anyway." He took out crumpled money from his pocket and straightened it out on the counter.

He was about to leave but he soon remembered something, "oh...-" you turned to him- "thank you." He smiled.

The frown grew into a smile as he left, even if you didn't get to tell him you at least connected with him.

"Your welcome," you called out.

•~•~•

As students walked into the school everyone noticed the girl saying the morning announcement's seemed more upbeat than usual, "bonjour, fighting Rukh's! Here's your daily drought reminder: don't hose your lawn, your car, or anyone else for that matter," she said giggling into the intercom.