Strangers

Edith

Edith's forehead was dripping from both sweat and humidity. Her long hair whipped behind her as she flew down the long branches of Yedrasa. As the branch narrowed she looked for her escape. Rope-like vine hung from most branches the further away she ran. She grabbed one and climbed. Her shoulder's burned but she pushed through, making her way to branches above her. In Yedrasa the clouds started at the roots and as the sun rose, so did the fog. The land below her was invisible, blocked by a sheet of white. Once she reached the top branch she nearly slipped on slick, wet wood. She kept one hand on the vine and hoisted herself on a branch with ease. She ran through branches again until more vine was visible and she climbed upward, repeating the process, determined to beat the clouds. She didn't get too far before the fog was at her feet. It was thinner now, and she saw color in the blur that was the world below her. With her muscles scorching she picked up her pace. The fog was on her and as she climbed it passed her. Despite the fog taking her visibility she never slowed down. Strange luminescent moss lined the tree where the sun did not shine, guiding her path. She reached the next branch and hoisted herself onto it. The clouds had won. She could only see a few paces in front of her and made her way back to Yedrasa's trunk, by the time she had reached it the fog had dispersed and she was soaked. Little leaves and twigs clung to her skin and hair. The Del-folk were no doubt still sleeping waiting for the sun to dry the thick air. Edith made her way down the many ancient staircases and bridges to the middle branches of Yedrasa where Edith's little room was strapped to the many living quarters around Yedrasa's thickest branches. Her morning ritual had started the second day she had arrived. She woke up early the first day and saw the Del-folk climbing, jumping from branch to branch fearless to the height. Although she never ran into those Del-folk, their climb had been her morning ritual ever since.

It had been three weeks since she had left her home, two since she had arrived in the Del-foil. The forest itself was a sight to behold, but in the center of the spectacular place was a mammoth tree. It's existence to her seemed like an exaggerated story but up close words couldn't describe it's magnitude. The features of the bark were carved with ancient markings and woven designs. Its roots spread for miles leaving no room for any other tree to grow. They stretched like veins weaving in and out of the ground and creating arches like frozen waves. At her top, branches were the size of normal trees jutting from her trunk they spiraled upward. Leaves of every shape, size and leafy color sprouted and flew around every corner. Her branches collided in a chaos of natural beauty.

When she reached her little guest house she changed her clothes into the traditional Del-fol robes. She had other clothes but hers were made for hotter, drier climate. The clothes the Del-folk gave her were slightly longer than her but they were deep greens and blues and had interact designs in them that matched the symbols around Yedrasa. She had only seen the particularly fancy Del-folk wear these designs and figured they were trying to impress her. She combed her wet, frizzy hair back with her fingers and took out her twin swords. They were the only companions she brought from Balthazon. She was suppose to be sent to the forest with a group to ensure her safe passage but Edith refused. To travel through her own lands with an escort would have been unnecessary and her people knew that. Looking back she missed them more than she had anticipated. She left her home after the last of the rainy nights in the early morning. She didn't expect a farewell but her friends surprised her that day. The promise of return was stale on her tongue and could still feel the sting looking out over the Del-foil. She was comforted by the thought that she was needed for something greater than herself. An adversary was summoned for a quest proposed by the Del-folk. What it was for or why was unknown to her. She only knew that it involved great travel and was important enough to involve every kingdom. The greatest warrior was what the Del-foil requested. Edith was far from that but did as she was told. She should have felt honored but she felt defeat, almost like sending her away was punishment. She did not wish to mettle in the affairs of men and couldn't possibly rationalize what quest could be so important. She only wished to get it over with so she would be back before she missed anything.