Chapter 19- Dress Shopping

((Peridot's POV))

The whole day I've been thinking of Lapis. She's perfect. I'm so happy I get to call her mine. But in the back of my head there's worry and guilt from my mom. But it's okay. I just think of Lapis and drown out the negative thoughts.

My school day was pretty boring. In the middle of science class, which is one of my last classes, I remembered that Lapis said to "dress nice" for our date. I don't own any "nice" clothes. I wear jeans or ripped leggings, not skirts and dresses. Plus my mom will wonder why I'm wearing something so unusual. I'm going to have to lie to her. Tell her I'm going to a party maybe? That should be good enough. But how will I get something nice by tomorrow night?

When the bell rang, I grabbed my stuff and found Lapis in the hallway.

"Hey! Lazuli!" I yelled to get her attention.

"What's up Peri?" She said as I walked closer.

"I'm not gonna be able to hang out after school today...I have to go shopping. I just wanted to let you know."

"Oh ok that's fine. Text me when you get back though so we can still talk."

"Okay. Love you." I quickly pecked her on the cheek so nobody else saw and walked off.

"Love you too Peri." I heard from Lazuli as I walked away.

(Time skip to after school)

"Hey mom?"

"What's up Dot?" She replied.

"Can we go dress shopping?"

"For what?"

"I have a school dance tomorrow and I just found out today. It's a formal thing, and I don't own any formal clothes."

"You hate dances though?"

"My friends are begging me to go but I can only go if I have a dress. You wouldn't want me to have no friends, now would you?"

"I suppose you're right." She sighed. "Did you have any stores in mind?"

"Not really. I figured you'd know better than I would about dress shopping."

"Okay lets get to the car then!"

We got into the car and buckled up. She drove to a fancy looking store and I didn't feel comfortable in. The way I'm dressed now indicates I should not be wearing an expensive dress like these.

A fancy woman walked up to us and asked us if we were looking for something specific. After explaining the situation to her, she showed me a rack of dresses that were actually really nice.

One of them caught my eye. It was a long blue dress, the color matched Lapis' hair almost exactly. There were little diamond-like gems sprinkled around the top of the dress. It was the most beautiful dress I'd ever seen. I asked if they had it in my size, since I'm smaller than average for my age, and the woman said no. I was really upset but then I saw a slightly shorter light green dress. There were little yellow speckles scattered around the bottom of the dress. It was strapless, and the back was cool, it was laced so that part of my back was showing. I loved this dress. I asked to see if they had my size and thankfully they did. I tried it on and it fit me perfectly. This is the one.

My mom went to pay for the dress while I waited in the car. After 5 minutes of waiting, my mom opened the car door. She sat down and buckled and started the car, then turned to me.

"Peridot, I know it's been difficult to adjust to this new town, and new school, so I got you something to make up for it." She pulled out a long box and handed it to me.

I opened the box and it contained a beautiful necklace with a rock that I recognized as yellow diamond. There were blue rocks that I didn't know of as well.

"Mom...it's beautiful. Thank you."

"It's real yellow diamond and lapis lazuli."

"Thank you mom. I really appreciate it."

"You're welcome Dot. I love you."

"Love you too mom."

We drove back to my house and I texted Lapis.

Peri- hey Lazuli
Lapis- what's up
Peri- I just got a new dress for tomorrow night and I can't wait
Lapis- that's great! What color?
Peri- green
Lapis- nice 😉
Peri- I know! I never wear dresses but I'm kinda excited to wear it tomorrow
Lapis- I'm sure it's pretty but I bet it'll be beautiful on you 😏❤️
Peri- I love you 💙💚
Lapis- love you too Peri 💚💙
Peri- I gtg but I'll text you in the morning, k?
Lapis- k 💚💙
Peri- oh and Lazuli?
Lapis- yes Peridot?
Peri- I know I've already said this, but...I love you so much 😘💙💚
Lapis- I love you more, Peri babe 😘😘💚💙

A/N ok so I'm okay with this chapter. It's longer than i usually would write so 👍🏼. And in the next chapter I will include pictures that I drew of the dresses that Lapis and Peri wear. So yep. Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!
Xoxo~