Chapter Twelve

"So... Are you hungry at all?" Kyle asks curiously a few days later as their final lessons draws to an end, and they have some free time and they meet in the courtyard. Kyle has been nervous about this all day for some stupid reason- he puts it down to the conversation they had the other day, to the fact that he told Dan he didn't love him. Luckily, the boy didn't believe him.

"Yeah, can't wait for dinner," the older boy smiles, wondering what it is for dinner tonight. He has grown used to the shitty tasting cafeteria food when he realised there was little else to eat unless you go into the town. 

"Well, good. Because I was thinking that maybe we could, uh, you know... Go and get something together?" The bearded boy watches Dan's reaction, hoping he'll agree. He's been wanting to take him out since the first time they- well, you get the drift. "It could be a... A..." 

"A date?" Dan raising his eyebrows with a smile as he steps in. He doubts this is entirely Kyle's idea, and he'd be surprised if the other three weren't involved in it somehow. "I'd love to." 

Honestly, Dan isn't sure what he expected from this date, or even where they will be going. He knows there are no posh restaurants in the area (though he didn't want to go one of them, anyway), and there seem to be mostly takeaways, or pubs (which they won't be allowed in). Kyle, however, makes the most of what he has by buying a Chinese and leading Dan to somewhere he's never been- up one of the highest building tops. 

The stars are beginning to shine brightly, contrasting to the dark blue sky that they sit in. Where the sun is setting in the distance, there is dark purples and pinks in the sky, lighting it up even more. The sight takes Dan's breath away.

"Woah..." He breathes, his warm breath forming a white cloud in front of him and he looks up towards the stars. His blue eyes are full of wonder and amazement, scanning over each star in the sky and trying to recognise the constellations. The light remaining shines on Dan's face, and Kyle can see every detail of it. He can see the light dusting of freckles and Dan's wonky tooth, things he hadn't previously noticed. He can see the little wispy bits of Dan's hair that don't quite stand up with the others, and he can see the love bite he gave him hiding beneath a scarf. And he falls ever more in love with the boy. "This is beautiful." 

Before he can stop himself, Kyle says, "You're beautiful." Everything about the moment feels so magical, almost like a teen movie, or something by Disney. "You're so fucking beautiful. Far more beautiful than any of the stars. More than anything." 

Dan lowers his gaze to Kyle, his cheeks heating up more and flushing red. He hates being complimented as it always leaves him with the same problem- bright red cheeks. He lowers his gaze.

"No! Don't look at the floor, look at me. Look how beautiful you are, look at how blue your eyes are. God, Daniel, I never thought I could love someone like this. It's cheesy!" Kyle says, gently placing his hand under Dan's head to make him look at him. "You're stunning." 

"Kyle- stop it," Dan laughs, shaking his head and looking away from Kyle. He doesn't want to even know how red his cheeks are at the moment. "I'm not." 

"I wish you could see yourself from my eyes, Daniel, because you're completely irresistible." Kyle plants his lips on Dan's and they stay like that for a few moments.

They eat their food and watch the sky and the people around them as they move, the crowds slowly slimming until there are only one or two people left. They are out far past curfew but neither of them care.

"This is the best night." Kyle says, lying down and resting on Dan's lap when he is done eating. "This is a brilliant night." 

Dan smiles, running his hand through Kyle's hair, looking longingly into his eyes. He hates how soppy their relationship has become, but at the same time, he loves it. It feels like he's in his own teen film.

"I really do love you, Dan. And I know what I said the other night, but I mean this now and always will: I love you. I love you more than anyone can love anyone, and you're my favourite person," Kyle grins, watching the boy with wonderous eyes. 

"Stop being so cheesy. But I love you too." Dan smiles, moving to the boy's fingers and toying with them. "And I mean that." 

"Good, because this leads me on to my next question," Kyle feels nervous. He feels almost sick with nerve. 

"What's that, then?" Dan seems completely oblivious as he runs his hands through Kyle's hair.

"Will you be my boyfriend?"