17: Tough Times

It's been a week since the tour ended and it would be Christmas soon. Dan and Mary were both freaking out because every Christmas they'd go over to Dan's parents (where the rest of the family would be reunited), and they were known, until then, as siblings. Dan and Mary, the adopted daughter. Nothing about a relationship ever crossed their minds. 

Mary and Dan have been planning on talking about that with each other, but it was just so awkward, they couldn't. They kept avoiding each other when the subject came up, but they didn't have that much time together anyway. Dan was nearly all the time either in the studio or playing in venues around the UK, which didn't leave much time for them to have the conversation.

However, just three days before Christmas, Dan was back at home, settled, and didn't have work to do until mid-January, when he'd go to South Africa for a couple of concerts. As great and exciting the band plan has been working (better than expected) was, it was extremely tiring and quite stressfull. Same for Mary. 

And just the other day, when Dan stopped by coming from Bristol to wash some clothes before leaving to Cardiff, they had another argument. Over something they didn't even remember in the end, but it was quite serious because they didn't talk to each other for four days. 

And in these four days, photos of Dan sneaking around with a blonde girl were appearing, and everyone bet that he was cheating on poor Mary. But Mary knew that was just Sophie, one of Dan's best friends, and he introduced both of them in a party a few years ago, they never talked much though. She just hoped Sophie was nice enough to not hit on Dan, and that Dan was strong enough to resist Sophie's charms in case she did.

As Dan has been spending a lot of time with Sophie, Mary has been spending nearly all her free time with John. Dan still didn't like him, but truth be told he was a nice guy, and Dan was too overprotective. Mary and Dan even had another discussion over John. Apparently he couldn't understand that John was gay, and married

It couldn't be denied: they were going through a tough time in their relationship, and it was just the beginning of it, they hoped. But they still wondered if it was really meant to be, even with all the fights. They were trying to get over it, and not overthink the whole thing. 

- Dan, - Mary called from the kitchen. He groaned, letting her know he heard her. - You know, Christmas is just three days away... 

Dan sighed heavily, knowing what she was bringing up, and that now there was no way of escaping it. He heaved himself off the couch and walked over to kitchen aisle and sat in one of the stools, watching Mary as she gracefully mixed the brownie batter.

- Well yes, Christmas is just three days away and we're going to tell them. Whether they like it or not, it's how it's gonna be. We're staying together, no matter what they say. 

Mary looked at him surprised by all this confidence, and secretly glad he had said it once and for all. She even thought about going deeper into the subject, but decided it was better to leave it that way because finally it was confirmed they were actually staying together, no matter what anyone said. Not even their parents could get in this, between them. 

Instead of speaking, Mary smiled gladly and went over to kiss him softly, her whole body tingling in happiness.

They were together, and that was it.