Darkness

A/N: I don't know, season two somewhere? Pre Pheve. c:

* * *

McGarrett sprinted headfirst into the pitch black basement fearlessly, not even worrying about his own safety, as per usual. Danny and I shared uncomfortable glances.

Is a suspect worth this? Danny’s voice was filled with annoyance, but I could hear the sliver of fear. A gunshot rang out. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end.

Come on!

We ran down the steps full speed, forgetting our phobias. “McGarrett?!” I yelled.

“I’m fine! He got past me, watch the door!”

Danny sprinted back up the steps towards the bright sunlight. I saw him step out as a shadow rippled behind him. My limbs froze, my lips trembling. “DANNY! BEHIND YOU!” I practically screamed out. It was too late. Our suspect hit Danny in the back of his head with something I couldn’t see from my position. My brother crumbled to the ground. Then the darkness filled my senses.

My breath quickened in panic, and I started to tremble in the thick air. My lips felt like they were sealed as tight as the door above. My limbs were frozen in fear and shock, like a deer in headlights. Finally, after what felt like ages, I whimpered. “Danny? McGarrett?”

I didn’t expect an answer to sound from the shadows. A familiar steady voice whispered reassuringly a small distance away. “I’m a few feet to your left, alright? I’m going to get up.”

There was a slight shuffling, and I realized he remembered that conversation all those weeks ago. He remembered how I was a phobic. I was absolutely terrified of underground spaces, ten times worse when there was no light.

“Okay.” I jumped, almost backing away. He was closer now. “I’m going to touch your arm, alright? Don’t panic.”

His rough hand gently glided over my arm. A tear fell as I whimpered again, afraid of everything lurking in the dark basement of a farm house. McGarrett could feel my worsening trembles, hear my breaths get shorter. His hand slid into mine, squeezing it. “I’m here, Nix. I’m here.”

“McGarrett-” I couldn’t finish, just sinking to the ground instead.

I heard his clothes ripple in front of me. “Phoenix, stay calm.” Even though he had to be only inches away from my face, I couldn’t even see his outline. I shuddered, a deep cold settling in my veins. I couldn’t tell if it was because of the temperature of the basement, or my bone chilling fear. McGarrett squeezed my hand again. “What can I do?”

Tears fell down my face rapidly now. “Talk.”

I heard in sit right in front of me. “About what?”

Letting out a sob, I said, “Anything.”

“Alright, alright. Have I ever told you the story of when your brother and I met?”

I started to shake my head, then remembered he couldn’t exactly see me. “No.” I whispered, teeth chattering slightly.

“Well, Hesse had just killed my father. The funeral was the day before. So I went back to the house, trying to find some evidence. I started in his office, then slowly made my way to the garage, right? I was looking through the Champ toolbox when I heard the door open.”

“Danny?” I croaked, now curious. My hands still trembled, but the tears started to stop flowing.

“Yeah. We probably yelled at each other to put down our weapons for a good minute or two. Even then, we still argued.”

I managed a weak laugh before the walls closed in on me tighter than before. I couldn’t feel McGarrett’s hand, only the wave of sudden fear. My lungs didn’t seem like they were taking in any air. Somewhere I heard McGarrett yell my name.  By now I was hyperventilating, the terror gripping my soul. I would die in this place. I was done for. We were done for.

Then, two arms wrapped around me, hugging my small form tightly. I turned, laying my head on a shoulder, trying breathe. I could slowly feel the oxygen trickle into my lungs. “That’s it, Nix.” McGarrett muttered in my ear. He didn’t seem to mind that my tears were practically ruining his shirt. His arms held me tightly as I shuddered and sobbed again. “Shh, Phoenix. I’m here. I’m here.”

He rocked me gently, and my breathing started to even out once again. Then he started talking. I couldn’t write all of our conversations; it’d be too hard and slightly impossible. They ranged from stories from his childhood or mine to what we wanted for dinner that night when we got out. The panic attacks didn’t stop. They would hit at random intervals, some worse than others. But McGarrett managed to bring me back and calm me each time.

It was an hour after we first were locked in the cellar when something filtered through the door; two familiar voices were calling our names. Our eyes met in the pitch black before we started screaming at the top of our lungs. The yells got closer. Light filtered into the dark, fighting its clawing fingers. My eyes closed at the sudden burst, not accustomed to the sweet sun. Kono and Chin ran down the steps.

“Hey Boss, you two okay?” Kono asked.

“Yeah.” he murmured. He still hadn’t let me go, but I didn’t mind. I was still shivering and panic-stricken, and I knew the feelings wouldn’t disappear until I was out and as far away from this basement as possible.

Chin took in my shuddering form, his eyes worrying in remembrance. “Come on, Kid, let’s get you up.” he muttered, kneeling next to me and holding out a hand. I grabbed it and shakily stood. Almost immediately McGarrett was standing beside me, offering a shoulder. I thankfully grabbed it, leaning heavily against him. Kono grabbed my elbow after I paled a shade more, guiding me up the steps.

They led me straight to a shady spot under a rather large oak tree. I leaned against the trunk faintly, closing my eyes and focusing on the breeze and my breathing and not my rolling stomach and dizziness.  

McGarrett sat next to me after conversing with Kono for a second; I caught the words ‘Danno’ and ‘okay’, helping me breathe a little easier. Kono quietly glided away a few moments later to give us some privacy. He let me sit in silence for a few minutes before softly asking me how I felt.

I shrugged. “Not the best.”

“Maybe you should go to the hos-”

“No!” I could tell he was smiling, knowing I was better now. I opened my eyes to look at him. And I stared.

McGarrett had a small cut on his cheek. It wasn’t very deep, but enough so that it had bled earlier. My eyes wandered to his right forearm where a deeper cut was coated in dried crimson, and didn't exactly look as harmless. “You-you were hurt? That whole time?” I finally got out.

He shrugged, cradling his wounded arm slightly closer to him. “Your problem was more important.”

My eyes filled with wondrous tears as I tiredly laid my head on his shoulder. “You idiot.” I whispered.

He wrapped his good arm around me. “My family is always before me. You know that, Phoenix.”

The wind blew cool fingers of reassurance against my skin, carrying his scent. I breathed it in slowly, trying not to make it obvious. It was like inhaling the salty scent of the ocean, but less concentrated and just purely McGarrett. I winced. No. I couldn’t fall in love with him anymore, especially not after the kiss.

“Ready to go, Nix?”

I jumped as his voice brought me out of my reverie, leaning away from him again. “Yeah. Please.”

He got up before grabbing a hand with his good arm, pulling me up. He didn’t let go of it. And some part of me wished I didn’t like the way his calloused hand held my smaller one. But the other part of me? It wanted to kiss him. To tell him I loved him. To just be with him. We approached the car as my eyes steeled. I refuse to fall anymore in love with Steven J McGarrett, starting now. But a small voice in the back of my head whispered the same phrase over and over again.

You already have.