Chapter Four

May 07, 2016

"Patrick, do you even understand what you're going to be doing?" Joe asked him Saturday afternoon.

They were sitting in a coffee shop for lunch. Patrick was picking at the fries that came with Joe's sandwich. The lid to his mocha was sitting on the table, and he was dipping the salty fries into the drink before eating them.

Joe wrinkled his nose. "Please stop. That's disgusting."

Patrick just shrugged. "Nothing's even happening tomorrow."

"Patrick, no, this is a big deal!" Joe exclaimed. "Do you even realize that you could get laid tomorrow?"

The people at the table next to them looked over, and Patrick was quick to set his elbow up on the table and hide the side of his face with his hand.

"First of all, we're in public. Second, he's not my boyfriend. Third, I am not going to have sex with him or anyone else. And fourth, did I mention that he's not my boyfriend?"

Patrick subconsciously tugged on his sleeve, and Joe's eyes followed every twitch of Patrick's fingers.

"Have you been cutting again, Patrick?" Joe asked, breaking the light-hearted conversation.

Patrick didn't say anything. He just swirled another French fry around in his mocha and refused eye contact. That was enough of an answer for Joe. Patrick wasn't expecting the abrupt question, even though his responses warranted it. Joe had known Patrick long enough to be aware of how busy  Patrick was in college, even without a serious relationship.

"I don't think he would lie to you," Joe said.

Patrick glanced up. "What?"

"That boy. Whoever he is. He wouldn't compliment you all the time if he didn't believe it."

"I don't know. Maybe he's just really flirty. He seems to be."

"A lot of people have tried, you know."

"Tried what?" Patrick asked.

"To get to you," Joe clarified. "He's the only one who got through."

Patrick rolled his eyes.

"Come on. You're young. You're a lawyer. You have tons of money. You're not ugly."

Patrick scoffed. "Wow, thanks."

"Patrick."

He sighed and put the lid back on his mocha. He took a drink so he wouldn't have to answer.

"Don't you want a pretty boyfriend? Maybe you'll be happier."

"I don't think so," Patrick said, tucking his pinkies under the cup. He didn't think he deserved to be happy.

"What, is he not attractive?" Joe asked.

"He's beautiful," Patrick barely whispered.

"What's that?" Joe questioned, even though he heard very well what his friend had said.

"Nothing."

"What if we make him jealous?"

"Joe, I don't want---"

"I have a plan. Let's have a little fun."

"I don't have fun."

Joe rolled his eyes. The waitress walked over and placed the check on the table by Patrick, along with a small slip of paper with her phone number. She winked at him and walked away.