Chapter Thirty-One

July 18, 2017

Pete stood with his arms crossed and teeth clamped down on his lip. Joe left for Boston yesterday afternoon, and Pete was anxiously waiting for him to return with Patrick.

Patrick stayed home for three months before finally going to Boston. It was his way of stalling, but Pete had ground rules. He fulfilled his requirement of seeing his therapist in Chicago every week. He texted Pete before he left and when he got to work. He was pretty angry about "being treated like a child," but Pete was quick to tell him off. He went back to work immediately, despite Pete begging him to take a few days off.

Patrick bought a big, beautiful new house in Wilmette, and Pete moved there with him. Pete took everything out of his bedroom, much to the dismay of his mother, who he was finally leaving. There was even a golden retriever named Auggie waiting for them to get home. The painting of the robin was framed above their bed.

When Pete saw Patrick walking towards him, he couldn't have possibly smiled wider. Pete was quick to jump into Patrick's arms and kiss him when once he was within reach. With everything to take care of in Chicago and his immense fear of flying, it wasn't feasible for Pete to go to Boston to only be allowed an hour visit, so he was forced to wait the nearly two months for Patrick to come home. They had their weekly phone call, but by then they were just so glad to hear the other's voice that they didn't talk about anything important. Pete spent time with a psychologist in Chicago so he could do everything in his power to make sure Patrick was taken care of at home.

Once their lips parted, Pete leaned back to look Patrick over. "They sent you back in one piece," he observed, squeezing his boyfriend's shoulders. "You look great, so they fed you. You're dressed well, so that means you did laundry at some point. And you're smiling, so they did their job, right?"

"I'm smiling because I'm in love with the most perfect man in the world."

Pete blushed and wrapped his arms around Patrick's neck to pull him down for another kiss.

"You guys make me sick," Joe grumbled, coming up behind Patrick with suitcases dragging behind him and a backpack slung over his shoulder. "Let's go. One night in Boston was too much for me."

They followed Joe out, hands clasped and swinging gently between them.

"What's his problem?" Pete whispered.

"His hotel reservation last night got screwed up. It was funnier than you think."

"And he's still upset?" Pete asked, only leaving Patrick's side to squeeze out the crowded door leading to the parking lot.

"I think he's compensating," Patrick said, grabbing Pete's hand as they followed Joe across the crosswalk.

"Hurry up," Joe whined, turning to face them. "Traffic is already miserable." He glanced back to the exit and sighed at the line of cars.

"Slow down," Patrick muttered, looping his arm around Pete's waist.

"Oh, come on," Joe complained. "I have to carry all the bags and they're heavy and there's traffic and I'm hungry and I want to go home."

"You're so needy." Patrick rolled his eyes at Joe and hugged Pete closer to his side. "Are you hungry, sugar? We can go out after we dump him."

"We don't have to. I'll make something. I've missed having someone to cook for."

"You are both disgusting," Joe said, tossing the bags into the trunk of Pete's car. "At least by tomorrow you'll be back to yelling at each other."

"Have plans to yell at me tomorrow?" Patrick asked Pete once Joe ducked into the backseat. He leaned against the now fixed trunk of Pete's car. He had a smirk on his face when held out his hand.