Chapter Nineteen, Part One

October 31, 2016

"Trick or treat," Pete said with a smile when Patrick opened the front door.

"What's with the ears?" Patrick asked with a smirk.

Pete had a headband with black cat ears, and he even had a nose and whiskers drawn on his face in liquid eyeliner.

"It's Halloween. I had to dress up to solicit candy from cute boys all evening."

Patrick rolled his eyes and opened the door wider, letting Pete in. "I'm sure you got a lot of action with your mom and sisters with you. And considering that it's only seven, I'm assuming that you got bored after two houses and came here."

Pete pouted. "You're no fun. And for the record, I would've gotten a ton of stuff. I'm adorable. Look." Pete turned his hips towards Patrick. "I even have a tail."

"I'll give you a generous two on the effort scale. And I don't think cats pout all the time. You're more like a dog with the amount of pouting and begging you do."

Pete hit him with his tail. "The most purrfect cat in the world knocks on your door, and this is how you thank him?"

"Just for that pun, I'm taking away your Snickers privileges."

"I'll scratch you."

Patrick smiled and set his hands on Pete's hips, pulling him closer. "What?" he asked, brushing Pete's hair from his forehead. "Am I making you mad, kitten?"

"You're not allowed to get all sexy with me," Pete muttered when Patrick pressed his lips to his neck. "You're mean. You're anti-cat."

"You're adorable," Patrick whispered. "Cat ears and all." He caught Pete's pink lips in a kiss. "But if any guy tried to give you anything, I'd probably punch him."

"I always have my lawyer to protect me," Pete said, rolling his eyes.

"Now you're bordering on being the mean one."

Pete laughed, and Patrick tugged him closer. "I'm your favorite."

They were mid-kiss when the doorbell rang. Patrick groaned, and Pete pulled away to go take the bowl of candy from the dining room table. His tail swayed behind him as he walked to the door. Patrick stepped into the living room so he wouldn't have to talk to anyone.

Patrick heard the way Pete's voice lifted when he talked to kids. He knew exactly what to say and made them feel comfortable enough to reply. Pete would make an incredible father. An amazing husband. It just got Patrick thinking.

When he heard Pete shut the door, he walked back over to him. Pete barely got a chance to put the bowl down before Patrick was pulling him close and kissing him.

"Did you already break into the candy or something?"

"What would ever make you think that?"

"You taste like sugar, sugar."

Pete blushed, letting Patrick kiss under his jaw. "You know what we should talk about?"

"What, baby?"

"Kids."

Patrick pulled back. "What about kids?"

Pete shrugged. "I don't know. How do you feel about them?"

Patrick physically took a step back from the conversation. "Have you been talking to Joe's mother? Is there some plan I don't know about that involves me getting married off by the end of the year and on track to having kids before I'm thirty?"