Chapter 22

Thomas' POV

"Thomas! Wake up! Now!"

I shoot up from the hard floor, stumbling out of my room still half asleep. "I'm sorry sir." I say quietly as he stares down at me.

"You didn't finish cleaning after dinner. I called for you multiple times. Why did you not answer?"

"I'm sorry sir. I fell asleep. I haven't eaten in almost a week so I may be ...lacking energy..."

He sighs, frowning down at me "Well, I am heading to work and I expect this house to be spotless by the time I am back. The pantry is locked so don't even bother trying to eat and you are not permitted to leave this house. Do you understand Thomas?"

"Yes sir."

"I'll be back at the same time as usual." He says walking out the door.

Once he leaves I begin cleaning. I clean for about an hour, till I feel that I'm safe to leave. I walk quietly out of the house. Once I'm out I sprint almost all the way to Alexander's apartment, knocking on the door much louder than I intended to. I hear May call for Alexander to answer the door and he does...

"Thomas... You're back..." he goes silent for a moment, staring at me with sad eyes. He quickly snaps out of it. "Come in..." He gestures to the living room and I sit awkwardly on the couch.

"Can I get you anything to drink? Or eat?" He asks.

"Something to eat would be wonderful... I-if you don't mind..." I say, not taking my eyes off of him.

He nods, going off into the kitchen for a minute or two, coming back with a plate of crackers, some other little snacks and a glass of water. "What can I do for you Thomas..."

"I have something important to talk to you about... I just can't do it now because... because I have to get back to something..." Why did I even come here if I'm not going to tell him...Why can't I gather up the courage to tell him... because I'm a good person that's why. I don't want to take Alexander away from this... He says he's happy...

"What do you have to get back to? And why can't you talk to me now?" He asks in almost a demanding way.

"I-it's a long story sir. I-I'm sure you don't want to hear it now..." I called him sir... shit...

"Sir? Thomas what's going on."

I take a deep breath. "After you left I was thrown out of the house, I had nowhere to go and this man offered me a place to stay in exchange for me cleaning and...y'know... a-after a few months he began to get abusive. I haven't eaten in nearly a week, he makes me sleep on the ground, I haven't been allowed to leave the house since I've started living there, I'm probably going to be punished once I go back..." I don't realize it but I'm shaking and crying, clutching my knees to my chest. "H-he's going to kill me..."

"Hey..." Alex says softly, sitting beside me. He puts his arm around me. "It's okay Thomas... We'll get you out of there. I promise."

"Sorry for eavesdropping but you are free to stay here as long as you like." May says, rubbing my shoulder gently.

"T-thank you..." I mutter. "I should actually go though..."

"I can't let you go back to that Thomas... I don't want to force you to stay but you can't go back..." Alex says. "Please eat..."

"Thank you but I have to get back... H-he'll find me... I can't put you two in danger..." I say, getting up.

"Who is this person you're talking about..." he asks, stopping me in my tracks.