My Gray World

Kick the ball to your right! I watched a group of boys play soccer in the field. I felt the hard ground and the soft grass beneath my body as I comforted myself with my legs curled up to my face. The warmth of my body bounced off the hot sun of early spring. No, pass the ball to the boy next to you! I felt the temptation to yell out. I looked around and saw other people were watching the game too. They just can't play soccer right. Like the boys at this school aren't stupid already. My head turned toward the school; I wanted to check out the scenery of the building. Though there wasn't much to it. The colors on the school clashed together against the walls of the building. It makes it look too crowded. The logo on our school website is just a background of gray mountains with a blue and white river running through it. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. So the people that painted the school, wanted the colors to represent our "culture."

Instantly, screaming roared all around me. I turned back to the soccer game and saw that a boy scored a goal. Apparently, my brother kicked the ball and earned the glory for a couple of seconds. No surprise there.

My big brother, Gabe Isle, is a sports superstar in my school. He is decent at soccer and football. Most of all, he always stole the show at our school baseball games. He came to be a very popular person in our school when he showed his talent for sports. I, however, am just a face in the crowd that hasn't been heard for years. I am Canada Isle, the youngest in my immediate family. And probably the most unnoticeable person in the world. Maybe something will come my way and change my life. Though I know that won't happen, I am a face in the crowd that is unknown. I have been invisible ever since I could remember. I think it was when I started to walk and talk. That was when I lost attention towards my family. Though my mother never let her attention walk away from me. The feeling about me being lonely is excruciating and intimidating to feel and think about. This wasn't how I thought my life would turn out.

I stood up from the ground, grabbed my books beside me, then turned to go back to class. I looked at my watch. 2:11 PM. I had four minutes before class started. I darted across the high school field and ran toward the entrance of the school. I took hold of the handle on the door and swung it open then quickly ran across the hall.

Before I could go any further into my Geometry class, Principal Madeline stopped me. I saw her black heels right in front of my eyes as they trailed up her body. She looked at me sternly in her black suit and dark blue skirt. She ran the school ever since I became a freshman. She never did like me for whatever reason that I can not explain. I already knew that I was not going to get to Geometry class on time today.

"Why were you running in the halls, Miss Isle?" she looked at me with a cold, but calm face. I hated it when she did that. It made me feel as if someone was casting the Petrificus Totalus spell on me. This spell binds the victim's body together causing the muscles not to move a bit. This is exactly was how I felt, except I could still move my mouth and talk. You get the point though. 

"Umm, just trying to get to class before other people get here," I said with clarity and leaned over her shoulder to see students trickling into the empty classroom. Damn, my seat is waiting for me.

She groaned and took me by the arm. "Come with me." Her breath ran down my neck, which made me very uncomfortable. Canada, you are smarter than this. Why didn't you slow down before you ran into her? She took me down the hall to her office. Her grip on my arm was tight and firm. Her hands on my bare arm were coarse and rough. Kind of like Gabe's hands but softer.

I entered the room and looked around. Her office was bright, but at the same time with a dark feeling that shook down my spine. The room was so much more organized than other classrooms in the school. This is one of the reasons that made her scary, she is too organized. She sat down in her chair and looked at me wickedly.