He Appears Again

The weekend passed quickly as all things do. I woke up from my bed to the sound of my alarm clock. 7:00 AM. I moved in my bed to put my alarm clock "to sleep" and turned my back to the bed. I stare at the ceiling seeing the light blue colors on the walls and ceiling just fit my mood. I don't know why I feel crummy but the light blue colors on my walls seem just right with my mood and feelings at this point. I hear the door knob on my door rattle and I hear the creak in the door swing open. I look over and I see Gabe there standing in his pajamas. His skull shirt and pants go well together with the white and black mixing together perfectly.

"What time is it?" He yawns in his wake. I lift my head up from my pillow and turn my body to face him.

"Seven something. Did you have a good sleep?" I say as I yawn too. Gabe says that yawns are contagious. They definitely are. "I wish I could sleep until nine. Other than that I slept okay. Uggh, it is Monday," He leans back his head and groans like a chicken being strangled. He finally stops and takes a deep breath through his mouth. "Did you have a good sleep?" His eyes are barely open, I can tell he had trouble sleeping through the night. I think it rained and thundered last night from what I can tell on my window. "I had a bit of trouble sleeping too. I dread Mondays." I lept from my bed to stretch my tight muscles. "Alright, Mom has a day off today. So, I think she is making pancakes from what I can smell from downstairs."

Gabe walks out of the room with his heavy bare feet pattering on the wood floor in the hall. I look behind me and look out my window. The sky is gray just like my soul. The light rain patters on the window as I feel empty. I sigh and walk to the window. I open the window from the bottom and feel the humidity in the air reach my face and tingle throughout my body. I lean my head out the window and feel the light rain spread across my face. The feeling felt kind of like being reborn into a new day, but I know that my days never change. Just how my soul is. Dark and gray, empty without feeling. Just like the sky.

I bring my head back in the house and close the window. My head is soaking with water and my face is cold like ice. I walk to the closet to get dressed for the day. Once I get dressed in my sweater, pants and converse. I do my hair by putting it in a ponytail. Which is something I don't normally do. I usually put a headband in it or just keep it down. There was just something about today that just wanted me to change my normal hairstyle. I take my backpack on my shoulder and walk out my room. Gabe is already downstairs eating the pancakes my mom put out. I sit down in my seat and start to eat the pancakes at were warm to the touch. Dad was looking at his newspaper and eating oatmeal. He usually ate oatmeal whenever he had a less of a busy day ahead of him. Once I finish my breakfast I quickly run up the stairs to brush my teeth. Then, I run back downstairs and say goodbye to Mom and Dad. I run out the door with Gabe behind me. The sidewalks are soaked with rain and the skies above are clearly gray and dull. Not a crack in the sky. Me and Gabe stand at the bus stop to wait for the bus. I look around the neighborhood and stand in the rain with Gabe. The rain seems harder than it was before this morning, so I assumed there would be a complete rainstorm later today.

Pretty soon the bus arrived out of the road. The doors swung open and I could hear the roar of students chattering and playing around on the bus. Me and Gabe ran into the bus and sat down in the closest seat. I sat down in the front seat with nobody on it while Gabe went further down the bus to sit with his friends. I could hear their roar of, "Gabe! Gabe! Gabe!" ring in the bus. What a way to show gratitude. The doors on the bus closed in front of me and the bus instantly moved. Staring out the window of my seat was nice, the sky was dark but the bus seemed light. When I walked out of the bus to realize that the rain got even harder, the sound of the rain hitting my coat was thunderous. I run to reach the school entrance to see that a bunch of students playing in the rain. The boys have mud all over them. One of the school policies at our school is to not have massively dirty clothes. Bound to get hypothermia I'm sure. I shake off the thought and walk into the school. I see groups of students in their normal state, but most of them have jackets on. The school bell rings and instantly like a stampede, they rush to their classrooms. I rush in a calm manner to my English class as always.

~     ~     ~

School passes by in a quick state because it is a short day every Monday. The rain has gotten a bit lighter throughout the passing day, but it has not stopped. I decided to walk home again. I usually like the humidity in the air and breathe it in to calm down. Just like Folsom was. Hot in the air and humidity running through the air next to the ocean sea. I really wish we could visit my hometown again. I miss it immensely. The ache in my heart is no greater than my feelings about Avery again. I didn't see him at school once again. I guess I probably won't see him for a little while I guess. What did I do wrong?

As I walk home I can see my house just a couple of meters away. Then, I see a shadowed figure walking toward me. Probably a runner. Or Mrs. Greenway with her Chihuahua, Hilo. As the figure grows bigger the figure becomes more familiar by the minute. When I can finally see it's face, the face belongs to Avery. I gasp in the rain. His face is very determined, something that I have never seen before in his eyes. He reaches for my wrist and he drags me from where he came from.

"Avery! What are you doing?" He doesn't answer me. His face is a slight frown that shone in his eyes. His strides are big and bold. Obviously trying to get somewhere. Before long, I see my Dad waving Avery to get in our car. Dad looks very concerned and his very determined to get where he needs to be. Avery pushes me into the car once we reach it. He closes the door once he gets in. Dad instantly brings the car to life and skids out of the driveway.

I don't know where he is taking us but he doesn't say a word when he starts to drive. I am asking these series of questions that are still being unanswered. Where is Dad taking me? Why hasn't Avery been at school when he is here right now? Am I out of my mind? Out of my head? Why do the ones I care about look so determined? These questions have no end. Not until we reach the destination.

We reach the River City Hospital. Dad parks the car in a spot and instantly kills the engine. Avery reaches for his seatbelt and looks at me with his cold, heartless brown eyes that were once warm and kind.

"Get out of the car." He says very quickly. I obey his order and unbuckle my seatbelt and hop out of the car. Dad is running toward the entrance and waving very insanely. Avery grabs my arm tight and runs to Dad. He goes into the hospital quickly while me and Avery trail behind him. Waves of nurses and doctors greet him and say, "We are all ready Dr. Isle. Good evening Dr. Isle." Dr.? My Dad is a writer! What is going on? We all reach a staircase and we descend on and on. The nurses and doctors follow us down the endless staircase as I hear the pattering behind me, Avery and Dad. It seems like an eternity before we all reach a large metal door. My Dad walks to the door to unlock it. He takes a key out of his pocket, it is bronze, dirty with scratches and dirt. He inserts it into the lock on the door and turns the key left. Tons and tons of locks behind the door unlatch. I could hear them through the door and hear clicking and snapping.

I look at Avery, once I lay eyes on him, he looks back at me. His eyes are gleaming with plead and discomfort. Inside me felt a voice of his saying, "Help me." I feel his hand, still firm on my arm. I look away from his gaze and stare down at the floor. I am very much afraid of looking at him again and feeling very uncomfortable again. Instead of looking down at the bare floor I decide to see the progress on the door. When I look up, the door is unlatching by itself. The door slowly opening, but inside is a dark room with very dim lights that don't shine brightly. Dad walks into the room and once he steps fully into it, the lights shine brighter than before.

Avery pulls me to the door as we enter the room with the army of doctors and nurses behind us. The walls in the room are all white. What an unusual color. Whoever thought of the wall design and color must be a real genius. The wall design is a half sphere dome all around the room. Yeah, real genius. Avery lets go of my arm once we are fully in the room. My arm starts to feel a tingly sensation once blood starts to run through my veins through my arm again. In the middle of the room is a large machine. Beneath the machine is a long and gray table with straps attached to it and wires all around it. I don't move from my spot in the room but I do turn my head around to see two nurses putting a lab coat around my dad. What is going on?!