The New Boy

I never thought my life would amount to anything. I was correct that next morning. My life is still as plain as can be, I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock. I woke up instantly to the annoyance of the sound. I looked over to my nightstand. 7:05. I had to get moving if I wanted to get to school on time. I turned off the alarm, but then noticed something on my nightstand next to my lamp. It was the fourth book in my favorite series. It had a note on it though. I got out of bed and stood in front of my nightstand and read what the note said. As the words processed in my mind, I started to feel a sensation of gratitude in me. The note was from my mom.

My Dearest Canada,

I know that these last few months have been hard on you. Challenges have been thrown at you and you have confronted and faced them. I am proud of you for being who you are. I encourage you to try and make friends this morning and do your best to open your heart and let people see the real you. I love you for who you are. Don't you ever forget it. Anyway, I know that ever since I introduced this series to you, you haven't been able to put down the first book! So, When I came up to your room before I went to work this morning, I saw that you have already finished the third book, so I decided to bring you the fourth book from the library. Please try your best at school today and be yourself. I just want you to know that letting people in your heart will be healthy for you in the future. All I have ever wanted you to have was happiness. I'll see you after school, have a great day!

Lurvs,

      ~ Mom

My mom knew me so well. I started to fill up with tears as I read towards the end of the note. I know that I have tried in the past to make friends. It just didn't work out for me. Making friends wasn't my thing in middle school. Her somehow "motherly powers" worked very well on me. Her words inspired me to try and make friends. For now though, maybe I will start just by meeting one person today. Trust my gut, I can do that. I guess.

I turned from my nightstand and went to my closet to get dressed. As soon as I finished tying my left shoe, I gathered my homework and textbooks into my backpack that I had brought from upstairs last night. I looked back at my nightstand before I zipped up my backpack. I saw my mom's note, still sitting on the book. I ran to my nightstand and grabbed my book. I put my mom's note in my drawer and rushed back to put the book in my backpack. In case that during lunch making friends didn't work, I'd have something to keep me busy until class. I ran down the stairs with my backpack and saw my Dad sitting in his chair in the dining room where he sipped his coffee. He never drank coffee usually because he always said it made him jittery, but he loved the taste. I guess he had a busy day ahead of him.

I poured myself a bowl of cereal for me and Gabe. My brother was probably upstairs finishing some homework that he forgot to do last night. Geez, he needs to be more organized. I sat down in my seat with my bowl and sat there quietly. I ate quickly so that I, at least, could get to the bus on time. I looked at my watch again. 7:24. I had about nine minutes before I had to go catch the bus. I could hear heavy feet go down the stairs. Look who's here. Gabe came down stairs and sat in his seat and quickly ate the breakfast I placed out for him. Hey, I don't mind putting out his breakfast to help him every now and then. His hair was mussed but his clothes were clean. I guess it was a boy thing that they did. Get dressed in clean clothes and not fix your hair. Easy. I finished my cereal then put my dishes away in the sink quickly rinsed them off. I said goodbye to Dad with Gabe trailing with me. We ran out the door and out of the driveway with Gabe running behind me. We quickly caught the bus right on time just as it arrived at the bus stop.