Like Magic...Disappearance

I walked to school this time, I thought that the fresh air would do me good. My thoughts were mostly dwelling about Avery and how much he cared about me. When I thought of Avery, I tried to push the thought away and focus on something else. I never thought that pushing things away would be so hard. Especially when it is something unstoppable. What I needed to think about was my geometry test, very high level and difficult. Before I could think of other things, I reached the school with five minutes to spare. I ran to the entrance of the school and then slowing my pace once I got inside. As usual people in the school were in their usual groups talking about things that jumbles together in the hollow school. I tried to avoid the group's catching their eye at me. Swiftly I reached a seat so that I could read for a couple of minutes. I unzipped my backpack to reach my book before I finally heard the bell ring for class. Oh geez! I thought as I zipped my backpack up again and walked quickly down the hall to reach English class in time. By the time class started I darted to my seat and quickly got out my English book.

I needed to talk to Avery about my Science project that confused me insanely. He was a science expert so I would assume that he would help me come up with a product. I walked out of the lunch line with my lunch tray in hand. I swiftly walked to the table where Avery and I usually sat. He wasn't there. I set my tray down and looked around the room. I could see Gabe with his friends and girlfriend as usual. Gabe was holding a bat in both hands, practicing his swings. Every time he swung his friends and girlfriend were cheering him on. I saw the chess club in one corner in the middle of a game. The cheerleaders in another corner practicing their routine for the next football game. The Football players huddling in the middle of the room passing a football back and forth. No sign of Avery. I guess he got sick with the flu going around the school. I shook my head and did something that I never thought I'd ever do. I took my tray and walked around the groups of students around the room. I was walking to Gabe's group. I finally reached the group just as he noticed me coming his way before he swung his bat again.

"Oh, hi Canada, umm, what brings you here?" He set down his bat and reached my shoulder to set his hand on.

"Avery isn't here today and I thought that I could join you for lunch today." I shrugged as Gabe's group of friends quieted down to look at me. "Sure, sit down." He said gesturing his hand near Jennifer as she patted her hand on the seat next to her. "Okay." I said meekly as all eyes from Gabe's friends landed on me. I sat down and quickly dove into my burger. Gabe's friends set his eyes on Gabe again as he continued his practice swings. Jennifer looked at Gabe for a minute and then looked at me contently.

"How are you today Canada?" Her voice was strong and pretty.

"Fine, I guess. I don't really know. I just don't like groups focusing their attention on me." My focus gazed at my feet below me. I felt a hand come across my shoulder. I looked back at Jennifer and she was smirking. She came in for a hug as she slided closer to me.

"I know how you feel, everyone watching you. That is what discomforts me the most. Though, when your brother came to be something to me, and all attention from his team landed on us when we were together. So intimidating for people to look at your every move when it is with someone they know. But, being with Gabe made me comforted and made me forget that his friends were even watching," Her eyes were dark blue and sparkling. Somehow it made me feel very relaxed. Her gaze turned from me to Gabe. She looked at him wrestle his friends for a short second with a smile across his face. He looked at Jennifer and smiled at her. She waved and came back to me. "But when you are with that person that makes you feel special, you never feel discomforted." She looked down at me with a smile so demure and sweet. I finally returned her embrace as her head set down on mine. She was so nice to me. Always. She felt like my big sister.