Chapter 9

Demi's POV

After eating that awful sandwich Marissa gave me, I sat with her in the waiting room at the hospital and waited to see if there were any news on Sierra's health. I knew I was also expecting her worker to call too, so I decided to keep myself up with some coffee and playing Candy Crush on my phone while Marissa slept on my shoulder.

While I was trying to beat level 365, I heard someone running through the emergency entrance and to the reception desk. Everyone in the waiting room turned their heads to see what was going on. "Is Demi Lovato here?" He said in exhaustion.

The reception lady pointed to me. He thanked her and ran towards our direction.

"Which one of you is Ms. Lovato?"

"That's me." I stood up while raising my hand just to my chest showing I was the one who called.

I felt Marissa's head dropping on to my lap. She groaned as she sat back up and stretched out her arms. I forgot she was even there.

"What time is it?" She asked in mid-yawn.

"For you to wake up." I joked.

"Funny." She threw me a look.

"Ahem"

In front of me was a man who appeared to be in his mid-thirties carrying a binder and agenda under his arm. From the way he dressed, it looked like he just threw on whatever he could find last minute. There was a pizza stain.

"Hi! My name is Michael Coulter. Sierra's social worker." He said reaching out his hand and I politely shook it, ignoring his clothing choice and the way my friend acted.

After he took a seat on the other side of me, he opened up his binder to a fresh page and got a pen ready to take notes. "Can you please tell me what happened?"

"When I've met Sierra backstage at one of my concerts, she noticed I wasn't having the best day ever. She told me to stay strong and I could get through anything if I opened up to someone. And I did." I said proudly as I saw him taking notes in cursive writing.

"To pay her back", I continued on. "I invited her onstage to sing with me." The ends of my mouth dipped down into a frown. "Then she saw someone about to shoot me with a gun, and she got shot trying to save me."

I saw his eyebrows shot up and his jaw dropped down. He stared at me not saying anything for a few seconds.

"Wow." He finally said. He put down his pen as he took in what he just heard. "You must mean a lot to her for her to save you like that. Especially after what she's been through."

'Huh?' I raised an eyebrow. 'She must have had a hard life up until this point'. I thought.

"She doesn't open up to new people that easily plus she has an attitude that many, uh…" He scratched his head. "people don't like which makes her unapproachable at times."

"Is Sierra a runaway?" I asked.

He thought over of what he was going to say. "Ah…no. She's in foster care, but this was the first time she's ever run away, yes."

His head shot up as he thought of something "How did she get tickets to your concert? She only gets $30 a week for food expenses."

I just shrugged my shoulder. 'How am I supposed to know?'

He motioned to give him a minute and took out his cellphone to call someone.

"Hello? Rosa? It's Sierra's social worker." The second he said that, the woman on the other end yelled into the phone.

"I am so glad you've called!" She  sounded relieved but not happy. "I was trying to reach you for the past hour and half."

"What is it, Rosa?" He said with panic and concern.

"I want that Sierra girl out of my house! She took my credit card and used it to buy a stupid concert ticket! I want nothing to do with that child anymore. I've had enough. I don't want her to be stealing anything from me or the rest of my family again." The woman yelled so loud into the phone, both Marissa and I were able to hear every word from her.

'Woah!' I gave a shocked expression as I turned my head to Marissa. Turns out, she had the same look on her face as I had.

He sighed while running his hand through his brown hair. I had a feeling this wasn't the first time he's dealt with this kind of situation. "Okay, I'll find another foster home for her to live in. You won't have to deal with her anymore." After that, he hung up and sighed deeply, feeling glad that was over.

"At least now we know how she got the money." Marissa said, trying to turn the mood around.

I ignored my friend as I went through my head of what I've just heard from this social worker. Sierra just got kicked out of a foster home and Michael seemed like he didn't want to go through a seemingly long process to find another home for her. I wanted her to find a home where she felt like she belonged. It might seemed like a crazy idea, but I went for it anyway.

"Michael?" I said getting his attention as he continued taking down more notes even though he looked exhausted just seconds ago.

"Um… Can I take care of her? As a foster mom, I mean?" I looked at their faces and one had more of a shocked look than the other.

A/N: If any of you are interested in following me on any of my social media accounts:

Twitter: @daisuki_demi

Pinterest: @kawaiiolivia.

Instagram: @kawaii_lovatic (I'm not that active on this app but when I am, I usually post selfies and Demi edits ;))

ALSO:

Vote

Comment

Fan