♂ Chapter 23 - V E X A T I O N

These morning practises were killing me. Coach was pushing us extra hard for this season. We were better than any other major school except one, Arch Valley High, who had been our rivals for years now. It was safe to say we didn't lose everytime we played with them but we weren't better either.

This time there were rumours making way around school that the Arch Football team, the Lions, had a new quarterback. Apparently he was better than any quarterback they had ever had and even though, these were just rumours, this increased the pressure. Coach pushed us extra hard and sometimes we had practise twice a day and on weekends.

So, my day started like it usually does this month, football practise. However, something was different today. Coach seemed to keep a keen eye on all of us, how we moved, how we passed, our running, how focused we were and our strength. After a long hour of running, getting scratched and bruised, Coach seemed satisfied and dismissed us for school.

"Did you notice, something's up with Coach or is that just me?" Chase questioned when we were in the locker room.

"I did too."

"My legs are so wobbly, I think you're going to have to carry me to class today, Girlfriend. "

"Make your legion of followers carry you moron."

"Oh they're on a break today."

I looked at him, gesturing him to elaborate. I grabbed a bottle of water and started sipping some.

"Gotta work hard to take this one girl on a date."

I almost sprayed out the water from my mouth. This was something very unusual. Chase never did something like this, all this working and taking girls out on dates. Just as I was about to ask him who the girl was, I was interrupted by a swift clap of hands which was the signature style of our coach when he wanted our attention.

"This year, as you all know by now, we have harder competition. Many teams to beat which have gotten better. But so have we. And for this team to make it's way to the top of the leader board, you must have a good leader and frontman."

"All of you have impressed me by working very hard this year but one of you has made an impression on me many times greater than others."

This was it.

"Team, your captain for this season is Zayden Miller."

A loud round of whistling and cheers went around in the locker room. As for me, I was shook. An eleventh grader being captain was something so rare that it almost felt like a huge milestone to me.

"Thank you sir. I won't let you down."

"Its your team that you've to not let down, son." He gave me a pat on the back.

"Come to my office after school."

"Yes sir."

This was amazing. The number of hours and the amount of sweat I'd put in had paid off. I felt like I was on top of the world. I quickly accepted all the compliments from my team, showered and headed to the first class of the day.

Trigonometry.

In all the excitement, I'd forgotten this was the one class I shared with Sasha and I went in totally unprepared.

I went in the class only to see that my usual seat was occupied by the familiar face. She was talking to some people surrounding her and was they were all laughing at something.

I couldn't help but notice how fresh she looked this morning and then cursed at myself for letting these thoughts distract me. As though my thoughts alerted her of my presence, she looked towards me in a sudden motion and gave me a smile, similar to the ones she gave me before but it seemed different now. Like she was treading carefully on dangerous waters, like she knew something was up with me.