13

"Hey, Jack!" A voice called to him. He sat up and looked around. Lush green grass, cool to the touch, lay underneath him. A bright and shining pair of chocolate-brown eyes were above him when he looked up.
"Were you planning on sleeping forever?" the face and body bearing those eyes asked.
"M-Mark? Am I..dead?" Jack whispered.
"No, Jackaboy, you're not dead. Why would you be? Don't you recognize where we are?" Jack took another minute to look closer at his surroundings. As his eyes focused, he began to make out Mark's house in LA.
"We're at your house?" he asked, hesitating.
"Well, duh! What else could it b-" Mark was cut off as a loud bang split the air. Jack felt something warm and wet graze his cheek. His head snapped around and he stared at the grass, its blades being dyed a deep red. He turned back around right as Mark crumpled to the floor. The bright LA scene faded to white. Voices around Jack began to chant.
It's all your fault.
You killed him.
You let him push you.
Signe was your girlfriend.
It's your fault.
How could you?
You killed him.
You killed him.
You killed him.
Jack..why?
"I didn't do it!" Jack screeched, covering his ears. The voices weren't dampened and continued to taunt and mock him.
You let him die.
You should've noticed sooner.
It's all your fault.
You killed him.
You killed him.
"Jack.."
You killed him.
You killed him.
You killed him.
"Jack!"
A sharp cry from Ethan made him jerk upwards. In a quick impulsive move, he summoned a wolf from his smoke. Using the fur to climb on, he flung himself onto the wolf's back. As if the wolf knew right away what he wanted, it charged forward. Ethan sprang to one side to avoid being hit. Amy did the same.
"Jack, wait! Come back!" Amy shouted after him. The wolf didn't slow down. Jack didn't want it to. He let out a choked sob and buried his face in the wolf's fur as they raced along. It's light grey and deep black fur were stained darker by his tears. Though Jack hadn't seen the wolf head on, he could sense the wolf had unnaturally ice blue eyes. He felt like the wolf and him were one entity, which, in a way, they were. Jack had an idea of where they were headed, and while he was deeply upset about where he planned to go, he couldn't bring himself to stop the wolf. Another sob slipped out as the words form his nightmare crept into his mind
"No!" he wailed. "I didn't do it! I didn't kill Mark!"
The wolf let out a strange and eerie howl as they sped towards their destination. It was taking them at about twice the speed Amy and Jack had walked away from this very space. As they neared, the wolf slowly began to dissipate as Jack grew weak from his restless sleep. When it finally disappeared, he tumbled to the ground, rolling. When he slowed, he pushed himself to his feet and ran along the final stretch by foot. His legs felt like they would give way.
They did.
He stumbled to a stop next to Mark's body. He let out a loud howl of his own, the wolf still part of him. It sounded natural to him, and felt that way, too. Angry and choking sobs pierced every word.
"Mark..Mark, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to let you die, I didn't mean to. I'm so sorry."
He put his head in his hands and gritted his teeth, desperate to contain every sorrowful shriek and cry he held inside of him. Eventually, he let his jaw relax, and everything escaped.