16

Jack sat up, letting out a low grunt of pain from sleeping on the uncomfortably hard floor.
"Sleeping beauty awakens," he heard Amy jokingly say to Ethan and Mark. He flipped himself over and spun around to face them.
"How ya feelin', Jackaboy?" Mark asked, laughter sparkling in his eyes.
"A little better than before. How about you?"
"Still a little disoriented," Mark confessed.
"How long did I sleep for?"
"Longer than any of us," Ethan said as he stood and led the group to where Jack was sitting.
"We ended up falling asleep for a while, too. When we woke up, you were still out," Amy explained.
"I'm not surprised," Ethan added. "You seemed pretty exhausted."
"I was," Jack replied, nodding a little.
"So, now that we're all finally together again, shall we make a plan?" Mark asked, clasping his hands together and sitting cross-legged on the floor. He rested his chin on his hands and put his elbows on his knees.
"Well, I thought that maybe we should try and find everybody else first," Amy said. "We're still missing quite a few people."
"Katherine, Tyler, Bob, Signe, and Wade, right?" Ethan asked, counting them off on one hand. Mark stiffened a little at the mention of Signe's name, but softened again when he saw worry spark in Jack's gaze.
"I'm fine," he mouthed.
"And Chica, too, if she has an opposite," Amy was saying.
"Then what are we waiting for?" Jack pushed himself off the ground and wobbled a little from not standing for so long. Ethan, having not sat down, reached out and grabbed Jack's arm to steady him. Jack gave a nod of thanks and Ethan let go. Mark stood up as well.
"Where do we even begin to start looking, though?" Mark questioned. They were silent for a moment.
"I guess we pick a direction and start walking. There's not much else we can do," Ethan said.
"Well I don't know about walking for me. I'd rather ride," Jack said, a grin creeping into his face.
"I thought bigger animals took a lot out of you?" Mark said, raising an eyebrow.
"Well, I was on maybe an hour of sleep since we had arrived when I said that. If I get too tired, I'll let it disappear and maybe you can carry me," Jack replied jokingly, wiggling his eyebrows. Ethan let out a snort noise as a form of a laugh. To that, Jack closed his eyes and imagined a brilliant white horse with a flowing black mane. When he opened his eyes back up again, he realized that the instructions had been a bit flipped. Instead of a bright white horse, and deep black horse with a shadowy mane and intelligent brown eyes looked back at him.
"That's gorgeous," Amy breathed.
"Thanks," Jack replied, a little stunned himself. He used the horse's mane to pull himself onto its back.
"Let's go, then," Mark said impatiently. "We've got people to find and a world to save."