Chapter 32: Forcing It

CHAPTER 32:  Forcing It

A warm orange light lit the table. The entire place was bathed in this warm orange light. The piano is playing a classic romantic tune. She was trying to remember it if was Matt Monro or Frank Sinatra who sang the original. The tables were full of couples. If she didn't know better, this was a great place to for a man to propose marriage. Star smiled at the thought and glanced at the man in front of her ordering from the menu, talking to the waiter. The man smiled back.

"Are you okay, hon?" he asked holding her hand on top of the table.

"I'm fine. This must be an expensive place?" Star commented.

"Only the best for my lady." He smiled again.

They had a great time on the drive here. It is a resort on the outskirts of Los Angeles. La Brea is an exclusive bed and breakfast with a popular 5 Michelin Star restaurant. When they got here, it was already early evening and it seemed clear to her that they will spend the night here. Kinabahan si Star. Hindi pa siya handa sa ganito. Maaring taon na ang nakalipas, pero hindi pa rin niya kaya ang tuluyang magmahal ng iba.

"Tahimik ka... is there anything bothering you?" Tanong ni Dan.

"Wala naman. I think I'm just tired." Sagot ni Star.

"You don't have to worry. We can stay in separate rooms." Dan smiled and pressed her hand. Star gave a sigh of relief. "Alam kong hindi ka pa handa. I am not in a hurry Star. I'm here for the long haul." He explained. Star smiled. At least ngayon klaro na at walang pressure.

In a few more minutes dumating na ang order nila. They went through the dinner cordially, like old friends. It was comfortable, but Star still could not bring herself to bring their relationship to the next level.

After dinner, nagpaalam si Star na pupunta sa rest room. On her way back to her table she saw a very familiar face. Natigilan siya. He was having dinner in another table with a woman. A very beautiful woman. She was laughing demurely to whatever it was that the man was saying. It was clear it was a romantic dinner.  Kinabahan siyang bigla.  Biglang sumama ang kanyang pakiramdam.

Siguro naramdaman ng lalaki na may nakatingin sa kanila, so he looked up and their eyes met. He was more surprised to see her. He excused himself and started to stand up. Agad naglakad palayo si Star. Sinundan ito ng lalaki. Then, it was his turn to stand as he looked at the table where Star stopped.

"Dan, can we go now?" Star asked Dan.

"Why, may problema ba?" Dan asked standing up from his seat. He left his cloth napkin on the table and comforted the visibly shaken Star. He had his arm around Star in comfort when the other man approached the table.

"Fancy seeing both of you here." Gab said. Dan turned and saw the source of Star's discomfort. "Akala ko ba klaro na sa'yo that you are dating a married woman." Nairita si Dan sa narinig.

"Dan, please, let's go." Star pleaded.

"Wala kang pakialam. Star does not want to be with you." Sagot ni Dan na may galit.

"Really?" Gab answered sarcastically.

"Dan please..." Star held on to Dan's hand and started to walk away.

"No. He has to know his place." Dan insisted.

"Let's go Dan. It is not worth it." Pakiusap ni Star. Tumango si Dan at sumama na kay Star.

"Take your time. In the end, I will have Angel." Gab said loudly.

The couple now walked towards the Bed and Breakfast front desk.