Chapter 20: Families of Different Kinds

Bit of a filler chapter, but still has important moments. Next chapter will be better, pinkie promise! *sticks out pinkie*

Oh, and see author's note at the end for very exciting news!!

~

You know, the number of times I've woken up after being knocked unconscious by unnatural means in this series is becoming a bit too high. It doesn't help that each time I do wake up; it's usually in an unfathomable amount of pain.

This time, strangely enough, is different.

Instead of searing agony, I feel rather numb. My eyes are glued shut with sleep, and tearing them open is heavier than usual. At first it's all a bit blurry, like a camera trying to focus, but it doesn't take too long to discern my father's expression of curiosity with a sliver of concern creepily hovering over me. He also seems to be holding a steaming mug.

"Midgardians have all these herbal remedies that I have not even heard of on our planet," he flippantly comments in an enthralled manner, perching himself on the edge of the dark, fabric couch he evidently lay me down on after my fainting. He stares at the hot drink in mild fascination. "They have more teas here than I could possibly fathom. I went to one of those herbal stores while you were slumbering and asked the Midgardian there for any teas that cure pain. Apparently this ginseng tea helps reduce the risk of developing cancer, relief from menstrual problems, reduction in obesity, improvement of digestive disorders, and a boosted immune system, as well as improving signs of mental distress, asthma, arthritis, and sexual problems. I'm not entirely sure what some of those mean, but she sounded rather sure of herself."

"And you used a kettle without burning the building down?" I croakily snark, yet happily accept the outstretched tea. "Call me impressed father."

As I take a tentative sip, finding it mildly warm but not too hot, he stares at me moderately stunned. I frown, eyebrows in a knot from my confusion as I prompt "What?"

A small smirk quirks one corner of his mouth up momentarily. "You just called me father."

Shrugging, I try to shrink in on myself, grumbling and lightly blushing at the attention. "So what? You are, big deal. Just stating a fact."

His mischievous smirk grows. "Oh no," that accent that strangely reminds me of the English slips through. "Was that affection I detected?"

I sniff, sticking my nose up defiantly. "Absolutely not."

"I think it was."

"You're hearing things."

"My dear, I think I am detecting denial right now."

"Piss off."

"Your vulgarity never ceases to amaze me."

I grin cheekily, taking another sip. "It's a God given gift."

He seems undignified by my response. "I did not give you that."

Chuckling lightly, I focus back on my tea distractedly, my mood soon turning solemn at the reminder of what I have just sacrificed. Another element. I have sacrificed yet another element because of this stupid fucking –

Wait.

I relieve my right hand from its grip on the mug; twiddling my fingers and feeling my palm... heat up? No fire sparks, but the heat generated is definitely too hot for body heat.

"What the..." I trail stunned, staring at the Shakespearian Norse Drama Queen next to me for answers.

His smile is a little too smug and proud for him to play the ignorant card. "I said your abilities were akin to a glass of water. The Dark stone needed two full elements to build on. Half a glass." His arms spread over the back of the couch as he crosses his ankle over his knee, the epitome of a complacent prince. That smirk broadens as he elaborates "I may have pulled you out of it just a little bit early, leaving you with a couple drops that belonged to the fire's portion of the glass."