Chapter 5

Caroline looked up at her desk for the third time this morning. She suspected that news of their nuptials may have circulated, but then again –maybe she was just paranoid.

Nosy-Nora poked her head around her cubical, snapping her gum. "I'm surprised to see you working this morning, Caroline."

Caroline thrummed her fingers gracefully along the keyboard, hoping this god-awful woman would just disappear. "Why do you say that, Nora?"

The pop in her gum made Caroline jump. Yeah, she was definitely paranoid.

"Nothing in particular …" She drifted into thought, but the way Nora looked at her and the smirk that was forming around her coral-colored lips told Caroline otherwise. "You just seem to have a lot of business meetings with the boss, that's all."

Caroline scowled at Nora. "We're trying to close a deal with a major cooperation and he needs me there to make all necessary arrangements. That is part of my job, Nora" Caroline was surprised how fast her half lie came out.

"Not that it's any of your business." Caroline typed the last few words of the e-mail she was composing and hit enter.

"People talk, Caroline. I'm just trying to find out the truth." She shrugged her shoulders.

Yeah, right. Caroline thought. She wanted to find out the truth so she could twist it like an Auntie Anne's pretzel. Caroline tried to say as few words as possible to this woman, but it was hard when she was constantly breathing down everyone's neck.

She didn't earn the name Nosy-Nora for nothing.

Caroline closed all her documents and locked her computer. "Now if you excuse me Nora, I'm going to lunch." Nora waved her four-inch manicured fingers at Caroline as the elevator door closed.

Two-blocks down the street Caroline decided to indulge in her extended two-hour break, but it wasn't for leisure. The smell of freshly baked Italian bread clouded her mind as she walked into the Italian restaurant.

She suspected that Mr. Lockwood would already be seated and allowed herself past the hostess. Walking up the stairs and back outside she found her long time lawyer and family friend sitting perched close to the edge of the building.

The view was exquisite and she was pleased with the restaurant that she chose. As she approached Tyler, she laughed at his 'business attire'. He looked good, she didn't doubt that. She wasn't used to seeing her childhood friend playing dress up.

"Hey, Ty." She smiled as he sat up and pulled out her seat. He was always a gentleman with her.

She was surprised at how calm he was being. He wasn't happy that Caroline was agreeing to this and she told him only what he needed to know.

She knew that if Tyler knew she was being threatened into matrimony, that he would go ballistic.

Caroline knew that Tyler was in love with her. He had been his entire life, but he would never turn down the opportunity to help her when she needed it and right now she needed a good lawyer.

"I still don't understand why you're doing this, Caroline." He was scolding her.

"I need the money," Caroline lied. He knew it was a lie too. If she really needed money she didn't need to get married for a year to obtain it.

"I told you that I could help you," His offer still stood. "I can't stand the idea of you being with another man."

And here goes the waterworks. "Tyler, please don't do this here." She took a sip of her water.