Chapter 17

Turning on the shower, Caroline slowly stepped onto the cool granite surface. She let the water hit her back for a few moments trying to register what exactly happened the night before. They both broke the contract and she was unsure if it was going to be null and void after their brief romp.

In reality, she could accuse him of seducing her and still get her money outright.

Yet Caroline wasn't selfish. She knew she could never do it.

Her mind kept juggling back and forth.

What they did was consensual and she really could have said no, but she didn't. Actually, the thought never crossed her mind and it scared the shit out of her. Never before had she been with a man and completely lost herself the way she did with Klaus.

It was euphoria, addictive. He was like a drug. She knew there would be no going back to what they were - if they were anything.

She slammed her hands against the shower wall.

"Shit, shit, shit." She couldn't do this. He was consuming her thoughts.

She knew once she met her release that it was a mistake. The high she came down slapped her directly across the face. Realization dawned on her that very moment. It was all a mistake and although Klaus agreed with her, a part of her was hurt.

Regardless, it wasn't going to happen again.

She needed to do what she signed up to do.

She quickly washed the rest of her body and stepped out of the shower.

Grabbing her phone next to the sink, Caroline glanced at the digital clock. 9:30 a.m. She had at least an hour until brunch.

She tightened the towel around her body and secured her hair on top of her head. Caroline opened the door to the bathroom, not realizing that Klaus was standing before her.

Instinctively she held onto her towel tighter, but the wood Klaus was spotting in his black boxer briefs made her want to drop it.

No, Caroline.

She only had one night with him and she was acting like a horny teenager. She already needed detox for an addiction she didn't know she had.

"I need to shower." He stated.

Caroline froze for a minute, but quickly reoriented herself.

She was standing in front of the door to the bathroom and he was trying to get inside.

Oh.

Damn him.

He was not only making her panties wet. He was turning her brain into mush. That only made her detest him more.

"I was just leaving." She told him. "I'll be ready in forty-five minutes."

"Make it thirty." He demanded.

Caroline rolled her eyes at him as he walked passed her and into the bathroom.

Forty-five minutes later Caroline met Klaus in the lobby of the hotel. He stood there with an expressionless look on his face. It was by far the worst she'd ever see him sport.

She couldn't read his mood, but she already knew that he was going to be pissed because she was late despite whatever else was bothering him.

As she approached Klaus' anger grew. The smug look on her face only pissed him off more.

She stopped directly in front of him and spoke before he had the chance.

"I'm ready." She announced.