Chapter 11

Caroline was desperately trying to distract herself. Seated at the dinner table, she felt Tyler's eyes on her.

Please stop looking at me.

They arrived just on time to eat and didn't have the pleasure of conversing with everyone. This made their current situation even more awkward. Caroline was absolutely sure she would pull Tyler's beady little eyeballs right out of their sockets if he didn't stop.

After all, he was one of the only four people that knew about her nuptials and being the professional that he is, she was convinced that he was purposely trying to make her feel uncomfortable.

On another note being seated allowed her to avoid one-on-one interactions with Klaus' mother, Esther. It wasn't that they didn't get along, they did.

They were nice, cordial and even had a few things in common. But the tension was thick even before they brought out the first course.

"So Caroline," Esther placed her wine glass onto the table. "How did you and my son get so involved?

Caroline's face went crimson and looked over at Klaus. She loathed him more than anything at the moment, but she knew this wasn't a question she didn't prepare for. Klaus immediately came to her rescue.

"I pursued her." Klaus interjected. Esther raised an eyebrow. Caroline was unable to determine what she thought about it.

"That's not usual for you, son. There must be something about you dear Caroline that is intriguing." Esther looked at her as if she should comment.

Ah, yes, Mrs. Mikaelson. I am your son's assistant. I take his phone calls, schedule his appointments and bring his lunch.

The job was more difficult than the description, but in Esther's eyes it looked petty.

"What are your talents, dear?" She blinked her eyes mechanically as if she was irritated that Caroline wasn't so quick to respond.

"I enjoy cooking." Caroline smiled confidently.

"Cooking?" Esther asked questioningly.

"Yes," Caroline began to stand up for herself. "I'm actually really good at it. I would have pursued a career in it, but given the cirumst—"

"You ended up as my son's assistant." She finished Caroline's thought.

"I think that's enough mother." Klaus slammed his fork against the table.

Everyone stopped talking and looked over at Klaus.

His sudden outburst shocked Caroline.

Esther didn't seem pleased with it and her look alone made everyone's head turn back to their plates, except Tyler's of course.

No one could get rid of him.

Caroline was a good friend of the family, but she was starting to think marrying Klaus would make them see her in a new light; a light that Esther was already trying to burn out.

Tyler's grin grew wide, and Rebekah looked up at him briefly and noticed. She pinched his arm urging him to stop staring, but of course he didn't.

He seemed to be the only one enjoying the discomfort.

Caroline glanced over at Bonnie, who gave her a sympathetic look. She thanked the lord she had one person in the room who understood her. At least she could seek her out afterward to avoid anymore-awkward conversations.

During the remainder of the dinner, Caroline kept a mask on her face. She was still upset with Klaus, but surprised herself with how well she was able to hide it. She decided that no matter how he treated her or what he said, that this was an agreement, a mutual one.