Chapter 25

"Thank you for meeting me, Care." She offered him a half smile, knowing that this wasn't a good idea.

"What did you need to talk about Tyler?" Caroline wanted to get straight to the point.

He hesitated for a second.

"I was out of line the other night." He confessed. "I shouldn't have treated or spoke to you the way I did. I'm sorry."

Caroline eyed him curiously. She knew that he was meeting with her for more than an apology.

"Why are you really here, Tyler?"

He set his fork down and stared at Caroline. He was afraid of her reaction. "Have you read the tabloids this morning, Care?" The question was rhetorical. He knew she never paid attention to them.

"No, Tyler." She thrummed her fingers on the table, afraid of what he was about to say.

"Maybe you should look…." He pushed tabloid across the table.

Her eyes gazed on the photo of her husband and a woman she did not recognize in an uncomfortable predicament.

The caption read, 'Mikaelson back at it again! Read page six for details.' She didn't want to be affected by it, but she was. Caroline glanced back up at Tyler shaking her head.

"What are you trying to say Tyler?" She was trying her best not to get emotional in front of him of all people.

He sighed. He clearly wasn't happy with the photo.

"You shouldn't be with him if he is going to treat you like this."

Caroline couldn't believe he was trying to have this conversation with her again.

"Tyler look," She picked up her purse not caring whether she finished lunch or not. She knew that she needed to speak to Klaus about whatever this photo was about.

"We're friends. That's it. Please stop pushing for anything else."

He didn't like that answer either. "You never thought of me as more than a friend?"

"No, Tyler." She decided that she had been nice enough about that subject. "I really need to leave now." She explained to him as she stood up.

He placed his hand over hers as she tried to turn her back.

"I have something else to tell you."

Caroline looked down at him, but didn't say anything. In truth, Caroline wasn't sure if she would be able to handle anything else.

"There's going to be something else published in two days."

"Tyler please, I don't think I can handle anything else." She tried to pull her hand away, but Tyler tightened his hold.

"I'm surprised that Klaus hasn't already told you…" He sounded hesitant, but quickly confessed afraid that she would try to leave again. "Klaus' father is being charged with the murder of my Uncle, Mason Lockwood."

Caroline finally took a seat across from him shocked.

"Why would he be charged with that?" Caroline pressed for more answers trying to appear as calm as possible.

"Esther Mikaelson." He said and suddenly it clicked together.

"Mason Lockwood is Klaus' father, isn't he?" Caroline's eyes bugged. She couldn't believe that those words were coming out of her mouth. "And that would make Klaus…"

"…My cousin." He finished the sentence for her.

Caroline couldn't stand another second in front of him. She needed to see Klaus and she needed to see him now.