Introduction

There is a scene in the 1987 film "Black Widow" where the  FBI agent protagonist (Debra Winger) is asked by her boss why she thinks the serial-killer antagonist (smokin' hot Theresa Russell) murders her husbands:

"Don't you know? Nobody knows why anybody does anything."

Sometimes people can be persuaded to do something they wouldn't ordinarily do because a mass of others – or a very select group – people that they identify with or trust – are doing it (or approve of doing it). Or the act appeals to their sense of what is right or necessary – or fun. Or someone suggested that they were incapable of doing it. Or they are offered a sufficiently large reward to overcome their hesitation to do it anyway. These and others are basic Madison Avenue persuasion techniques and if you keep your eyes peeled you can usually spot several of these in every advertisement you see or hear, regardless of the medium. There are many ways to persuade people to do things that they would not normally be inclined to do.

But sometimes... sometimes... someone will do something...

something that seems completely uncharacteristic...

something that is totally outrageous...

something that seems, perhaps, a little crazy...

... simply because someone asked them just the right way at just the right time.

That someone always wanted to do it, but felt constrained (for whatever reason) not to. He requires no persuasion – only a good enough excuse to let himself go...