(34) The Bunny

The tour ended at her office. She invited him in and offered him a seat in front of her desk. She walked around, behind her desk, and they sat. She seemed to Mike much more relaxed than she had been at the start, and he was glad.

"I've been answering all your questions, but I have one for you. Why are you really here?" Daphne asked.

Mike paused, then smiled. I like her. No nonsense. Straight to the point. It was a little bumpy at first, but things will work out, I think. "I've done a lot of research and I like your company. The whole time the economy has been going down the toilet and everyone else is struggling, this company has been getting stronger. Now that things are beginning to settle down, I figure that you're in a good position for a major expansion. Maybe buy out a competitor or two. You may even appreciate a little investment capital to help pay for it, and that's an opportunity for me to get in. This is obviously a solid company so any money I put in here will be a safe investment. I want to be a part of your future and to grow with you!"

She leaned back in her chair. Mike felt like he was being examined as never before. Her eyes were drilling holes in him. Something was up. "You really don't know who I am?" she asked.

"I'm not your rapist, if that's what you're..."

"Relax!" She waved her hands and made the 'time-out' signal. "You never raped me." She wore a strange grin.

Mike's face was blank. "But you think I met you?" Daphne nodded. "Really?" he asked. She nodded again. "Incredible," he chuckled. "I can't believe I could ever forget meeting you."

Daphne smiled. "Thank you." Her eyes sparkled for the first time. "Look, it's almost time for lunch, but first I'd like to play a game to decide which of us pays. Are you up for that?"

"You're inviting me to lunch? OK. What's the game?"

"I'm going to go relax on the sofa over there for the next five minutes or so. You have that long to try to figure out why you should know me. If you can convince me that you know where we met, you win and I pay for lunch. If I have to tell you, then I win and you pay."

"So... I'm going to pay for lunch?"

"I've known you for years and I've never seen you give up so easily..."

Mike was surprised – she really did seem to know him somehow...

But where?

"For years? You mean that we've met more than once?"

"Oh, yeah – way more than just once!"

He looked at her again, in more detail this time.

Nope. Nothing.

Mike drew a breath. "OK, Let's go..." Daphne intrigued him. He hoped for the best, but expected to pay for lunch.

Lounging on the couch, Daphne smiled as he opened drawers, scanned the framed credentials hanging on the wall, and examined the books on her bookcase. Framed photos on her desk of other people he'd never seen before. He found her purse and started to rifle inside, then stopped. I hate going through a woman's purse! It feels like being a voyeur... "If you tell me there's nothing worthwhile in here I'll respect your privacy."

"Cold!"

He sighed and said "Thank God!" under his breath. He set it back down. He looked defeated.

Then a puzzled look appeared on his face. He picked up one of the photo frames and examined it up close. A vacation picture of friends lounging on a sunny beach. Spanish writing on a sign in the background. That woman, with the sunglasses, a big floppy hat and the green cocktail... it could be Terri... it could be anyone, but... maybe... But Leo's is hundreds of miles from here...