Chapter 16

"Oh Tomoe! It's about time you got back. You were taking so long that I was starting to wonder if you got lost and whether or not I needed to go look for you..." Mizuki said smugly when he saw Tomoe and Sakura coming up the shrine's lengthy staircase, but his voice trailed off as his eyes landed on the duo's intertwined hands. Immediately a mischievous smirk graced his lips, sending a wave of uneasiness shooting down Tomoe's spine.

"Why are you smiling like that? What do you find so amusing?" the fox snapped, his ears flattening against his head as his eyes narrowed into suspicious slits.

"Why, you of course! I have to say, Tomoe, I never thought you'd move on so quickly but I'm glad that you're putting yourself back out there again so quickly. I'm sure Nanami will be ecstatic for you two as well." Mizuki purred as a devious sparkle glimmered in his emerald irises.

Sakura's brow furrowed in confusion. "Tomoe, what's he talking about?"

"Nothing. Pay no attention to him. He's just spouting nonsense like an idiot." Tomoe stated flatly, glaring daggers at the snake as he brushed past him and dragged the vixen inside the shrine.

Sakura frowned when she noticed the irritated scowl marring Tomoe's face. Also, his cheeks were burning red. Biting her lip, she came to an abrupt halt in the middle of the hallway, pulling Tomoe to a stop as well.

"Why are you stopping-" Tomoe started to bark but stopped as a slender hand was placed on his forehead. To his dismay, the rosiness of his cheeks involuntarily spread to the rest of his face. "W-What are you doing?"

"Your cheeks are all flushed and you looked uncomfortable, so I figured you might be getting sick. You feel a little hot to the touch..." Sakura replied. Snatching the groceries from Tomoe's free hand, she pulled him into the kitchen and pushed him down onto a chair.

Tomoe bit the inside of his cheek. He knew exactly why he was feeling hot and it wasn't because of a fever.

"I'm fine, Sakura. It's just rather warm out today, that's all."

"Whatever you say, tough guy. Don't move." she ordered sternly, plucking off the leaf concealing Tomoe's ears and tail along with her own. Setting them and the groceries aside, she then proceeded to throw open the kitchen cupboards and rummage through them. Tomoe immediately raised an eyebrow.

"What are looking for?" he asked as he rose to his feet.

"A thermometer. Now sit back down!" the vixen replied sharply.

Rolling his eyes, Tomoe strutted across the kitchen and over to a little drawer next to the sink. Opening it, he reached inside and withdrew the desired object, holding it up for the vixen to see.

"Ahem."

Scowling at him, Sakura snatched the thermometer from his hand before dragging him back to the chair. Shoving the device into the male's mouth and practically choking him in the process, she tapped her foot impatiently as it calibrated. Frowning at her, Tomoe tried to remove the thermometer, but as his fingers grazed against the device, his hand was swiftly smacked away.

"Don't. It isn't done yet." Sakura stated flatly.

With an annoyed huff, Tomoe slouched in his seat and folded his arms over his chest, waiting for the device to finish taking his temperature. As soon as the thermometer beeped, Sakura ripped it out of his mouth and peered down at the little screen. Her brow furrowed in confusion.

"That's odd. It says your temperature is normal." She muttered. Setting the thermometer aside, she brushed Tomoe's hair out of his face and placed her lips against his forehead. Sensing an abnormal amount of heat radiating off of his skin, she remarked, "I think your thermometer's broken."